It was probably around late 1981 when I first heard ‘Taboos’
by The Passage on The Peel Show. From the opening verse I was transfixed. Here
was a group writing songs about sexual dysfunction in both a cerebral and
humorous way. Most people that have heard of The Passage probably prefer ‘XoYo’
because they are likely to be one of the 120,000+ music lovers (like myself)
that bought the Cherry Red classic indie sampler album Pillows and Prayers on
which it appeared. The Passage formed March 1978 in Manchester and the band was
led by Richard ‘Dick’ Witts, the only ever present member until they split up
in 1983. Some say that their early material has been likened to The Fall (not
totally a surprise given that The Passage’s first bassist Tony Friel also
played bass in The Fall) and like The Fall there was a constant change of
line-ups, but that’s where the comparisons end. Unlike The Fall, The Passage
are arguably one of the most unsung bands of the 1980s. The ‘Taboos’ single was
recorded at Stockport’s Strawberry Studio in August 1981 which brings me neatly
(if you want) back to arguably their two greatest songs – ‘Taboos’ and ‘XoYo’ –
both about sex but both very different, both musically and lyrically (sexual
dysfunction versus sexual liberation).
Ripped by djjedredy for MyVinylDreams to MP3 @ 320kbps
The Passage; Taboos 12”
A. Taboos
B. Taboodub
You can find the 12” of XoYo by clicking here

I'm glad you approve
ReplyDeleteI was an early fan of The Passage...bought their 1st album Pindrop when it came out, got to see them live on the Degenerates tour. Actually, Pindrop made me a fan of the Object Music label and over the years since I've been able to track down copies of every Object Music release.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I would have to disagree that XOYO is one of their two best songs. I certainly agree they are one of the most unsung post-punk bands of the time, and I will agree that Taboos is one of their best tracks ever...indeed, I played my 12" copy so much that I bought a second to keep in abeyance, still never played to this day.
As to songs far better than XOYO, Pindrop has a number of excellent songs including 'Troops Out' and 'Carnal', but truly the standout is 'Watching You Dance'. From the album For All And None the standouts are 'Do The Bastinado' and 'A Good And Useful Life' (parts 1 & 2). From Degenerates, I find both 'Born Every Minute' and 'Time Will Tell' to be superior to XOYO. And finally, from Enflame, 'Horseplay' is the true standout...why it was never made a single is beyond me.
While I will agree that XOYO was a good song, all the others I've listed are (IMHO) far better and stronger works by this overlooked band.
And this concludes today's history lesson on the works of The Passage. :D
Err...and that post has forced me to listen once again to For All And None, and I would also have to add the track 'London' to the better than XOYO category.
DeleteYou'll have your chance to enjoy commenting on each album as they appear konrad, never fear..more from the Passage to come
DeleteOh, I think I'm done. :)
DeleteHaving been there, done that, saw them live (they played like crap that night...as the opening act...I have the recording I made to prove it and they okay'd me recording them...there's a story there if you're interested)...
And given I have all the vinyl and the James Nice reissues...yeah...I've pretty much said my piece. :D
broken link. can you fix it?
ReplyDelete