Certainly not the "darkest" the Cure would
eventually get, Faith is, as represented by the cover art, one of the most
"gray" records out there. Melancholy and despondent (the feel of
funerals and old churches just oozes from this record) without the anger that
would overtake Pornography, Faith comes off as not just a collection of songs,
but as a full piece. "The Holy Hour," "All Cats Are Grey,"
and the spectacular "Faith" are slow atmospheric pieces that take the
softer elements from Seventeen Seconds, and -- when sidled up next to faster
tracks like the single "Primary" and "Doubt" -- paint an
overall picture of the ups and downs contained within a greater depressive
period. But it's not all gloomy keyboards and minimalist percussion, Faith is
also a milestone for Robert Smith lyrically, branching out into questions of
faith and spirituality he never quite touched on so well ever again. A
depressing record, certainly, but also one of the most underrated and beautiful
albums the Cure put together. They would not touch on this sort of lush sadness
so well again until 1989's Disintegration.
Ripped to MP3 @ 320
The Cure; Faith + Carnage Visors
A1. The Holy
Hour
A2. Primary
A3. Other
Voices
A4. All Cats
Are Grey
B1. The Funeral
Party
B2. Doubt
B3. The Drowning
Man
B4. Faith
More from The Cure here

A really spot-on write up!
ReplyDeleteFantastic record, I think if I could submit to last.fm every listen I've managed to pile up through tape, LP or CD.. their algorithm surely crash.
Is frightening just how many times I've listened to this album.
DeleteStill my favorite Cure album.
ReplyDeleteIf I was to be pushed to say which is my Cure favourite it would probably be 17 Seconds
DeleteReally digging The Kentucky Vampires!
ReplyDeleteIn exchange I think to this one: Tearful Moon - Evocation:
https://mega.nz/folder/3VgwHAhZ#bTrdpUjj_ydC1fDcaSfCFA