I was asked a while ago if I had the 2012 2CD edition of the Avengers album. Well it looks like the goddess of torrents had indeed upped a copy in MP3 and as you can obviously work out for yourself; yes, I’m posting it here for all three of you to sample in your own time. The original post has been updated and is presented below…
No, wait…not THE Avengers but the Avengers from San Francisco…yeah? Ok, got it!
During the late 70’s, in San Francisco, the punk scene was a smouldering powder keg that was set to explode. Out of it would come such seminal bands as Flipper, The Units, Negative Trend and of course the Dead Kennedys. But the band that truly leads the way was fronted by the unlikeliest of people. A gifted and talented artist, Penelope Houston, who came from Seattle to the San Francisco scene and became the voice of The Avengers, a band that was directly inspirational to the bands that came after.
The Avengers, James Wilsey bass, D. Furious drums and Greg Ingraham guitar, were a San Francisco based punk band in the first wave of American punk. Penelope Houston, who later turned to folk music, was the singer and main song writer for the band, and was part of what made the band unique and memorable.
Their first EP release (and only while the band was originally together) was “We Are The One”, was released on Dangerhouse Records in 1977. After opening for the Sex Pistols final show at Winterland in San Francisco, Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones sat in the producers chair for a recording session for their second EP “Avengers”. This recording, released in 1979 a few months after the band had already split up, on White Noise Records features the memorable songs, "The American in Me," " Uh Oh!," "Corpus Christi," and "White N!gg3r." Brad Kent played guitar on "Corpus Christi."
The album called “Avengers” (sometimes referred to as the Pink Album) was released in 1983. It featured tracks recorded through the band's whole time together, and was compiled by drummer Danny Furious.

Does my comment make it four guys?
ReplyDeleteSorry FiveGuns, you're number two
DeleteYou'll find some good stuff there, I just don't like all the open ports.
ReplyDeleteNot Sure if you are into the blues but I did find the story of the blues five disc box that was a NIB rip and encode from my bud Guitarzan who moved away rural to get away from the Great Leap Forward Reset.
Ahhah a beautiful crow just landed on tree out front and Mr. Owl was hooting away the other night after I set the prey table with some supper scraps!
I follow her on meta and the band just got back from a tour of Japan. I last saw them a couple years ago in Tampa play with Stiff Little Fingers and she smiled at me as she walked by seeing how I had been slamming around and warmly beamed a smile a mile long at her that made her smile. I don't think I have this bonus to our skeleton blogger crew can now 'skelebrate'!! per what Christina Death used to say. Fangs a lot fiendz
ReplyDeleteBig thanks. I like this quite a bit.
ReplyDeleteHoly crap, has my birthday come 2wks early? I love the Avengers. Nicely.
ReplyDeleteReply Guy #6 or #7 ? Such a classic band/release; overall a great album. Fav' track for myself is "Car Crash". And that bass player became "James Calvin Wilsey" - Chris Isaak's Silvertone guitarist who twanged his way into a million listener's hearts on "Wicked Game". JCW produced a very good solo CD in 2008 (Eldorado). He entered Guitar Heaven in late 2018. For those who are interested, HoZac Books have published a JCW biography by Michael Golberg entitled "Wicked Game"...
ReplyDeletethanks for the info Muddy Mike...should I post some Chris Isaak?
DeleteYou are welcome AJ... Perhaps the first or second CD from them?
DeleteI just uploaded this to WorkUpload with plans to share in the near future. Guess I'll move on to something else...
ReplyDeleteAhh, I'm sorry Captain, I now how frustrating that can be. Share anyway
Delete