Tuesday, 30 September 2025

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Kicking Against The Pricks

Besides being noteworthy as an astonishingly good all-covers album, Kicking Against the Pricks is notable for the arrival of a new key member for the Seeds, drummer Thomas Wydler. Besides being a fine percussionist, able to perform at both the explosive and restrained levels Cave requires, Wydler also allowed Harvey to concentrate on adding guitar and keyboards live as well as in the studio, a notable bonus. Race reappears briefly to add some guitar while former Birthday Party cohorts Rowland Howard and Tracy Pew guest as well, the latter on some of his last tracks before his untimely death. The selection of songs is quite impressive, ranging from old standards like "Long Black Veil" to everything from John Lee Hooker's "I'm Gonna Kill That Woman" and Gene Pitney's pop aria "Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart." Matching the range of material, the Seeds are well on their way to becoming the rock/cabaret/blues showband of Cave's dreams, able to conjure up haunting, winsome atmospheres ("Sleeping Annaleah") as much as higher-volume takes (Roy Orbison's "Running Scared," the Velvet Underground's "All Tomorrow's Parties"). The version of Leadbelly's "Black Betty" is particularly grand, Harvey's drumming driving the track with ominous power. This said, often holding everything back is the key, as the creepout build of "Hey Joe" demonstrates. Even more striking is how Cave's own vocals rebut the charges that all he ever does is overdramatize everything he sings -- consider the husky, purring delivery on Johnny Cash's "The Singer." Other winners include a masterful version of Jimmy Webb's "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" and the stately, album-closing "The Carnival Is Over," originally a mid-'60s hit for the Seekers.

Ripped from the CD to MP3
1.       Muddy Water
2.       I'm Gonna Kill That Woman
3.       Sleeping Annaleah
4.       Long Black Veil
5.       Hey Joe
6.       The Singer
7.       Black Betty
8.       Running Scared
9.       All Tomorrows Parties
10.   By The Time I Get To Phoenix
11.   The Hammer Song
12.   Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart
13.   Jesus Met The Woman At The Well
14.   The Carnival Is Over
 

4 comments:

  1. Listened for the first time in years... still rock-hard in stark minimal Giant power. Maybe my second ever fav. Cover album, first being Mark Lanegan's 'I'll Take Care of You"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a late fan of Nick Cave...but this album is a fab introduction with the selection of covers...Something for everyone

      Delete
  2. My 2nd favorite cover album, 1st being Mark Lanegan's - I'll Take Care of You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you'll have to rip Mark Lanegans album for me...

      Delete