This album was marketed like some Fields of the Nephilim spin-off, since Paul and Nod Wright contribute. The thing is that the main man behind Last Rites is Alexander Wright (a third, yet unknown brother?). Anyhow, Nod has actually produced it and Paul plays the guitar, so they have a big part here as well.
The guitar sound is different to Fields, yet the same, at least to some degree. In songs like "Full Circle" and "Race a Train", it's swinging in typical Paul Wright manner. The guitars sound heavier than they use to be, but very nice indeed. Regarding the capability of the mysterious Alexander Wright, I establish that he has a good voice and obviously, he has succeeded with this dark guitar-based project. Now, it seems even weirder that the Fields guys recruited Andy Delany for Rubicon.
There aren't any bad tracks on this album, but there are fewer interesting ones. This is something else, something different and not that gothic.

My god, I've been looking for Last Rites for ages, thank you! Do you have their other stuff? There's a few Nephilim/Nefilim-adjacent bands to dig into out there.
ReplyDeleteYeah Batfish I have a further album and EP from Last Rites. Sensorium are also coming and NFD are already posted.
DeleteNice one! I thought Last Rites were the most listenable of the post-Nephilim bands. I loved how Sensorium took an ex-Nephilim vibe and ran in a different direction with it. Anyway, keep it up, you're doing valuable work.
DeleteThe Nephilim thread still shines in The Eden House with bassist Tony Pettitt and Simon Rippin
Deletefirst many thanks for this blog, really great stuff and its totally my taste in music.
ReplyDeletegot this cd when it came out and it´s my favorite post Nephs release but I never been able to get their second album "the many forms" and I can´t find it anywhere so if there is a chance of uploading that one (and maybe the other EP) it would be really nice and much appreciated.
regards, old Nephs fan ��
Thanks for your comment old Nephs fan, and yes, early next week
DeleteJust marvelous AJ.. THE MANY THANKS in advance!
ReplyDeleteBtw I think that Alexander Wright is actually still Nod, he just did drums, vocals and production himself.
Too bad they stopped releasing stuff lately.
I really like the first album, especially Land of oblivion, it may seem a bit monotonous at first but boy it keeps on intensify and has this really cool and powerful groove with lots of subtle details it blows me away every time I blast it loud enough.. Resolution and Full circle are also top notch.. can´t wait to hear the other stuff..
Have a nice weekend, cheers.
oldNephsfan