Dear fellow travellers all...
On the evening of Monday 14th a terrible crime took place
After much banging and crashing I must admit defeat and say that all, not just some, but ALL of my music files (almost 10,000 MP3 albums and singles folders, of which almost 3,500 of those were also FLAC) are gone. All of my family photos, documents, work....are gone. A 5TB back-up crash has left me with basically nothing apart from what is currently on my desktop, my working 1TB back-up and whatever I have on Mega.
Devastated doesn't even come close
It will be a miracle if I can come back from this, so with a blink of an eye while wiping away a tear, this journey is now over.
Farewell!
Bye!
Bye-Bye!
Bye For Now!
Cheerio!
So Long!
Pip-Pip!
Sayonara!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAJ - Read the comments there are more than enough people ready to help you.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDon't go! We can share your music with you, just as you did for us. I lost an external drive this year, grieved awhile, but eventually found most of what I had lost. Family photos are hard to recover, but the music is out there for the asking.
ReplyDeleteIt would be a shame to lose TFGC. You're one of my favorite bloggers! Let us readers know what you're missing, and we can get it back to you.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYes!! We can share and give back to You!! Let's work together! Heartbreaking about the family pics but the music we can all help You with!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. That's traumatic. Your public service is appreciated.
ReplyDeleteI really hate that this happened to you. May good surprises await you.
ReplyDeleteFrom my early days of blogging I actually have old punk stuff that I probably never will have time to open and much less listen to. I keep all my external hard drives in my Walmart fireproof/waterproof safe and recommend this to others. I have been downloading you for about a year now so I may have a lot of stuff like the others. My goal for my collection is eventually to send it to my old college U of MN which has sandstone underground storage rooms. I may try to make some money off the WAV more complete files that I don't post but all my WINRAR stuff I could give you if you sent me a hard drive. Hope you have other copies of the family stuff with other family members that could help you. This too shall pass...sorry for your loss but we can all help.
ReplyDeleteThx for your precious work. Don't wanna see you go. Let me know if you need support. Will do my best...
ReplyDeleteThanks for all those rare records and your hard work.
ReplyDeleteOh man that's gotta hurt. All my archives now exist on /two/ drives, updated every couple of weeks, due to a similar experience years ago.
ReplyDeleteHave you considered using a commercial data recovery service? That don't come cheap but if you can afford it... odds are that well over 90% of your files can be recovered for a price.
Just now I'm living in a remote area with /very/ limited bandwidth. But on behalf of many others I suggest: Ask and ye shall receive. You have given so many so much, certainly some folks would be happy to return the favor.
7.000 albums. If I can help, let me know!
ReplyDeleteDude I feel your pain having been through the same ordeal. I now have 3 copies of all my shit on 3 different external drives. Its a pain in the ass, but worth it when a drive crashes! Hang in there brother!
ReplyDeleteI feel you...I live in South East Asia and almost 98% of my music collection was chewed by termites !! All my music publications (especially NME magazines from the 80's and 90's were all gone !) and my rare vinyl records from the 80's and 90's are without sleeves ! Luckily termites don't chew plastic.
ReplyDeleteAll the money spent on them !
This happened in 2000. How I nursed my broken heart ? I stopped buying music altogether and went travelling ! On and off for 10 years..to Europe, Middle East Japan etc etc and I had super amazing time discovering places and meeting people.
All the money spent on travelling ! Worth it !
Now, I'm rediscovering music of bands that I loved, used to love and always love and some of them I only heard of the band names but not their music. I have nearly 20 External Hard Drives now, equivalent to 30TB of music !!! Do I have time to listen to them, hell no ! :)
Do I care what will happen to them ? No actually but I will keep on downl*a*ing music for as long as I live !
Everything happened for a reason and when I look back at my life, it makes me smile from ear to ear...I HAD A GOOD LIFE !!
Just got myself an Ipad Pro/Procreate, couldn't go out travelling and what am I supposed to do ??
I'll be 'interpreting' all these noise in my head into artworks that I can call mine ! Soon...ish.
So chin up ! There's always music to be discovered and rediscovered.
It's not the end of anything !!
Stay Safe !
One of my favorite blog... Don't go ! I'm sure we can help you with the music files
ReplyDeleteSo sorry.
ReplyDelete2020 has not been good to anyone
I feel for you...Just a year ago my external drive crashed and all my mp3s dissapeared in the thin air...One i learn from this: you must always properly backed up. I'd like to assist you to rebuilt your mp3 collection. Until then, feel the pain and rearrage your drives. Nick, Greece
ReplyDeleteHello
ReplyDeleteWould be happy to help if i can.
Cheers
AJ, count me in as well for helping you recover lost music, what I have of it at any rate. As was mentioned, the photos, etc. are the real tragedy here, but a suggestion, even if it amounts to closing the barn door after the horse has bolted...
ReplyDeleteHaving been where you are on a couple of occasions, I finally got wise and put together a hardware raid configuration. A hardware daughterboard and four 2 TB drives in a raid 5 configuration give me 5.47 TB of secure storage. I have a couple of spare 2 TB drives. If one drive in the array fails, I replace it and the array rebuilds, nothing lost. If I need to build a new computer, I can plug the whole setup into the new computer and with the correct drivers installed, my array is recognized as is, as that info is stored in eprom on the card.
Pardon?
DeleteAJ mortified for you to read this. I'm sure we're all here for you if you need us. Worth investigating a data recovery service, if only for the irreplaceable family photos. Having worked in IT for over 40 years I know it can be done.
ReplyDeleteThis ^^^^^^
DeleteIt is expensive, but given the value, not measured in dinero, for photos, documents, etc., it may be will worth it.
Have found at least one company that offer a free diagnostic service which highlights what data they can recover, with a drop off site available in London. Worth a try as you will then know the cost and what you will save. I'm sure we could Crowdfund the recovery if neccessary.
DeleteReady to help you with the music files. Cheers
ReplyDeleteOh shit A.J. don't let go, stay with us for a friendly comment and a little digital friendship.... We all have more music than life to listen it, so is important discussing about what deserve.
ReplyDeleteI had same type of failure in the past.... Go on bro
Dark Circle Room had a similar misadventure about 9 months ago. We all pooled together and gave a lot of the music back. We can do this for you too. But it has to be organised.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your hd breakdown, i had the same earlier this year, i was lucky was 2tb but was not full, but still lost all of things. You have many offers of help here, hopefully you will decide to carry on with your site as good music blogs are getting less and less. I have never had a hd go on me before but these things happen, nothing is built to last forever!!
ReplyDeleteReb
Sad sad sad sad sad news. you deserve a lot more. willing to help you with magical music. let the flux come the other way around.
ReplyDeleteSo good to see many volunteering to help...
ReplyDeleteIt means all you did so far left an imprint on us.
I'm in no position to help but glad others do.
Go for it! Thanks again.
Sorry to hear about that mate
ReplyDeleteThere are two types of hard drives,those that have failed and those that WILL fail! Remember: Two is one and one is none! Hard drives today are increadibly cheap! How much is your stuff worth? I hope this site recovers in the future it was one of my favorites.Thank you for all of your work!
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain! Two years ago we had a fire. I had backed up on multiple Hard drives but they all melted. I went through a grieving process - all those hours and hours went poof.
ReplyDeleteIt's heartening to see your followers offering to help by giving back.
Best wishes!
sad news mate. hope to see you back before long
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about it, AJ - TFGC has been a regular stop of mine. But as Apppick17 wrote, "Dark Circle Room had a similar misadventure about 9 months ago. We all pooled together and gave a lot of the music back. We can do this for you too. But it has to be organised". I'd volunteer like a shot to return music to you if asked ...
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Dave Sez.
I'm totally heartbroken for you, AJ. Give us a shout if you need a hand recovering some of the endless hours of joy you've given us.
ReplyDeleteHoly Shit!!!! - Fuckin' Technology!!!! - Restart!!!!
ReplyDeleteuhhhh
ReplyDeleteHave a Merry Christmas, hopefully Santa brings you a new 20TB HDD.
ReplyDeleteCheers!
I would be able to help but only the flac files (the others I did not grab)
ReplyDeleteHey, as a regular visitor of this blog I MUST help you. I do own *-20000 titles and i feel i got to help you any way that I can.
ReplyDeletePlease let me know how and what do you need.
Greetings from Llao Llao, Argentina.
Hope you'll get well soon and you're HDD too.
ReplyDeleteHope you'll get well soon and you're HDD too.
ReplyDeleteI'm new here and have already enjoyed your great blog, so I'll be more than willing to help. You can buy a cloud-back-up and we all will upload albums at your requests and you will put them in your new cloud-storage. And you can put a donation button for buying the cloud storage. I will be very happy to donate via paypal.
ReplyDeleteWarning. DO NOT use any love spells sold by Dr Adoda. My current wife used such a spell on me and caused me to marry her. But she then gained over 60 kilos in just two weeks. In addition, my penis fell off. You have been warned
ReplyDeleteSorry for your loss, Steve. ("Why don't you tell me one of YOUR biggest fears?") But if Dr. Adoda can conjure a spell to woo AJ, I will set up a GoFundMe to bring back the blogger who left us lovelorn.
DeleteDo U still have the drive? Maybe I can recover the files. Send mail if this is the case. This is not a scam.
ReplyDeletegpunkt
I will give you my mail address in case you still need recovery help. Please answer to this comment.
That is one of my worst fears. I've been collecting music and ripping cd's/albums/tapes since at least Millennium Edition. So sorry. I hope you are able to recover some of that. <3
ReplyDeleteWelcome back. Nice you have returned.
ReplyDeleteThanks 🙏
Delete