Sunday, 12 April 2020

The Names – Swimming


The Names' Swimming isn't the sharpest arrow in infamous producer Martin Hannett's quiver, and the Belgian group indeed wallowed in the obscurity that journalist Jon Savage claimed they didn't deserve, but the record still fares rather well as a second-tier post-punk record. Starting off with a relatively upbeat first side and eventually drifting into a not exactly inventive morass of lumpen tempos and a rather off-putting level of mopey meandering (a sequencing scheme conceived by the producer), it certainly isn't the most listener-friendly record of its era. Like a number of bands that favoured their rhythm sections and keyboard dressing over guitar pyrotechnics and over-emotive vocals, the Names truly come to life when they find a sticky groove capable of scaling tall buildings and allow it to take centre stage ("Life By the Sea," "Discovery"). Otherwise, the songs risk losing their tether and dissipate. Reissued in 1991 as Swimming + Singles, the attentive archivists at Factory Benelux tacked on "Calcutta," "Nightshift," and "The Astronaut," a trio of decent to great singles that add significant value to the overall package. Along with another key 7" release that can be found on the Spectators of Life compilation, the bonus tracks show that the Names were much better at the singles game. The Factory-issued "Nightshift," a nocturnally glum tune that somehow manages to glisten in a manner similar to Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart," stands as one of the Names' standout moments, if not their absolute best. And don't miss the B-side, "I Wish I Could Speak Your Language," which impressively mimics the "no midrange" features of PiL's Metal Box with deep lows and piercing highs, along with a Lydon-unlike romantic lyric.


Ripped from the 2000 CD reissue to mopey meandering FLAC

The Names; Swimming

1.      Music For Someone
2.      Discovery
3.      Floating World
4.      The Fire
5.      Life By The Sea
6.      White Shadow
7.      Calcutta
8.      Postcards
9.      (This Is) Harmony
10.   Shangai Gesture
11.   Leave Her To Heaven
12.   Light
13.   Nightshift
14.   I Wish I Could Speak Your Language
15.   The Astronaut
16.   Cat
17.   I Wish I Could Speak Your Language (Mix)

Find the Factory Benelux 7" single Nightshift here

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm...this looks to be the rip I posted over on ESWA. :)

    This is from the LTM reissue of 2000, as AJ mentioned, not the earlier Factory/Benelux reissue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right, this is the LTM reissue

      Delete
  2. I find this album more rewarding than your description suggests. Fans of The Cure's album Faith should hear "This Is Harmony",

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be in the right room with this album. It's not bad per-say, it's just a bit wishy-washy for me at this time. I guess I'm saying is that when I write/copy & paste reviews together they reflect my current mood, an additional turn of phrase or change of influences, hell even what I'm listening to at the time (which has been predominately early 90's jangle-pop, indie guitar and shoegaze) can have an underlying effect.

      *currently listening to The Montgomery Clifts

      Delete
    2. I'm totally with you jonder!

      Delete