The 10 double singles posts experiment seems to be a
success, which is great news for you, but a royal pain in the ass for me. Over
the next couple of weeks there follows a selection of single, single posts (with
a little help from Wiki) that I hope you’ll enjoy. First up, The Names.
After local gigs as The Passengers, the band changed
their moniker to The Names in time for their debut single, "Spectators of
Life", released by WEA in 1979 to test the Belgian market for home-grown
new wave music. The band though was keen to sign to a British label, and
connected with Factory Records at a Joy Division gig at the Plan K venue in
Brussels. The Names, augmented by new drummer Luc Capelle, recorded
"Nightshift" in Manchester in August 1980 with in house producer
Martin Hannett. The single was representative of their overall sound: dark,
controlled modern rock in the mould of Magazine, Comsat Angels and Joy
Division/early New Order. It peaked/stalled at No. 35 on the UK Indie Chart.
Ripped from a pristine copy of the single to MP3 @
320kbps
The Names; Night Shift 7”
A. Night
Shift
B. I
Wish I Could Speak Your Language

I just discovered this band earlier in the year, I really
ReplyDeleteliked them. Thank you for the 7', it took a few tries
with mediafire but I finally got it. Have a good one!
- Timebender
Sorry that it can be a bit of a hassle with Mediafire, but since the loss of Zippy in the UK, Germany and now Italy I was looking for something that would be suitable for all.
DeleteThose of you who are looking for more from The Names should go to https://timeneedle.blogspot.com/ which just posted a bunch of their 7" recordings, including their first for WEA which is not on the LTM singles Comp.
ReplyDeleteThanks for heads up Eric the Sloven.
DeleteThanks!
ReplyDeleteI Wish I Could Speak Your Language make me mad.
A great little Cure-like track...
DeleteThanks AJ and Slovenly Eric. I think I bought the Names' album Swimming when it came out, but never realized that they were from Belgium. Love the b-side of this single!
ReplyDeleteAn old flatmate of mine had Swimming, which frequently found its way into my room. I have the CD of it somewhere, so expect a rip at some point in the future
Delete