Wednesday, 20 August 2025

East Ash - Crushing A Flood

East Ash was an intense four piece band that formed in 1986 in Columbia, with (despite the bands protestations to the contrary) a decidedly European flavour. Their first album, 1990’s “Crushing A Flood” on C’est le Mort Records made it onto the US college music charts. Without trying to hard the band works through a nine song set of strong post punk influenced tracks. Each track is built upon the distinctive Vocal and Bass talents of Jeff Rogers, who sounds like he’s been strangling way too many cats. The twin guitar attack of Robert Durando and Bob Brass bring the funk in a Gang Of Four style that is backed up by the disco drums of Donald Cizek. The production is a little thin in places but that doesn’t spoil the overall listening pleasure with standout track A Flood benefiting from the space between the individual instruments allowing them to breathe. There are some strong similarities to The Edge in the guitar, possibly even some nods towards Bono in the vocals (it’s very U2 in places) but don’t let that put you off. The production values ensure that “Crushing A Flood” doesn’t become overbearing. There’s a whole host of band names that I could use to give you a sense of where these guys are coming from…but if I did it would remove their individuality and make you expect something that they’re trying to expand upon. 



Not sure where this was sourced from…but it’s presented in all of its MP3 @ 320kbps glory

East Ash; Crushing A Flood

1.      Dreams
2.      Australian Beaches
3.      Doesn’t Know
4.      Faceless
5.      Wonderful Life
6.      A Flood
7.      Funerals
8.      Milk And Honey
9.      The Disease

 


5 comments:

  1. Listening in total ecstasy... The type of audio that instigate to Crank the volume UP!
    Thanks for another gem AJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up a few nice albums from Nothin Sez Somethin that were released by C’est le Mort Records that I’m gonna share over the next few months

      Delete
  2. I've posted a few C’est le Mort releases as well over at my blog. Tremendous label...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d love to get some of the C’est le Mort vinyl or CD

      Delete