Monday, 3 June 2019

We’re So Happy


As I didn’t celebrate my 500th post with fanfare, streamers and balloons, I thought I would only mention it in passing on this, my 504th post. Anyway…moving on, The Danse Society were real contenders for Goths of the month January through December 1982. I have already commented that We’re So Happy isn’t one of my favourite tracks by them, but it’s worthy of completism with this, the 1983 reissue cashing in on their signing with Arista (cynical? Moi?). I should really be raving about the single and all of its little nuances, or dropping background on the band members, the previous incarnations or post “Artistic Differences” fallout. Nope.
Side 2 however is a different story. Woman’s Own has rectangular guitar (it is that sharp) and shouted single word vocals that remind me of all the brilliant bands on Postcard Records. Belief has some groove heavy Simon Gallup bass going on. Interesting that yet again a good band can push the envelope on the B side but prefer to keep too the formula for the lead track.



Ripped from an extremely pristine 12” single to FLAC

The Danse Society; We’re So Happy 12”

A1.  We’re So Happy
B1.  Woman’s Own
B2.  Belief


More from The Danse Society here


 


16 comments:

  1. Congrats! on the milestone, even though you made no fuss.
    500 more I hope.
    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Timebender, I haven't drawn too much attention to it, have I?

      Delete
    2. Not at all, very casual but worth mentioning indeed.
      - Timebender

      Delete
  2. I hope for 5000 more at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About dreams: downloaded from wilfullyobscure.

    This was a killer find. Another one I kinda bought for the cover that turned out to be way more significant than the sleeve. B Team were a Bay Area trio with a post-punk sonic aptitude and a socio/politico hardcore ethos. Buy American's artful opening salvo "Dance Capital" is driven by an irresistible, staccato-laden groove plundered from Entertainment!-era Gang of Four and fortified by clever lyrics. The dissonance continues on "Eyes Are Bleeding," wherein the B Team doctrine yields a more distinctive tact. Bleaker forays on side two, "This Damage" and the concluding "Right," point to an absorption of Joy Division in addition to dadaist funk. Compelling in both their sheer attack and forward-thinking palette B Team had a wealth of things going for them, but they apparently dissolved after a this disk. A 1982 single preceded Buy American, which I'm going to try to get my hands on.

    01. Dance Capital
    02. Eyes Are Bleeding
    03. Living for Christmas
    04. This Damage
    05. Youth Corps
    06. Right

    https://www42.zippyshare.com/v/Id0Orx0q/file.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great stuff, very Gang of Fourish as mentioned.
      - Timebender

      Delete
    2. Yep,I downloaded this from wilfullyobscure, great 12" single

      Delete
  4. @Timebender & AJ here my vol.1 "Fabio loves the 80's-easy version"
    https://mega.nz/#F!mRx0HQwa!QaFQ_gQAk1Z13vHEfpI3GA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Fabio
    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little live video, 4 minutes of synth-twangy-clangy gtr /electro apotheosys
    https://youtu.be/tDA8TCf7OjY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty cool song Fabio, minimal, dark
    and droney.

    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your persistance in the crowded yet empty blogosphere. Big cheers from south argentina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anon from south Argentina. Hope you weren't caught in the big power failure.

      Delete