Coming off one of punk rock's early classic albums,
1977's raw and rough Young Loud & Snotty, you'd think the Dead Boys would
have followed the same winning formula on their sophomore release. But as We
Have Come for Your Children proves, the album didn't come close to matching the
fury of their debut. The reasons for this fumble can be attributed to a few
things, but chiefly, it was a poor producer choice (ex-Mountain bassist Felix
Pappalardi, who really had no business producing a punk band, and obviously
wanted to tame the group). That said, Children isn't a complete atrocity,
however; much of the material is strong, and it would have benefited greatly
from a grittier production (there was talk of having ex-Stooges guitarist James
Williamson produce the album at the time, which would have probably improved
the end result). Still, this is the Dead Boys album that contains one of their
greatest all-time tracks, "Ain't It Fun," a "live fast, die
young" tale that is quite eerie coming from now-deceased singer Stiv
Bators (and was later covered by Guns N' Roses). Elsewhere, you can't help but
wonder how much better such promising tracks as "(I Don't Wanna Be No)
Catholic Boy" and "Flame Thrower Love" would have turned out in
the hands of another producer. Since the Dead Boys' discography is short, fans
should definitely try to hunt down a copy of We Have Come for Your Children;
just don't expect the same knockout punch that Young Loud & Snotty
generates.
We Have Come for Your Children stands as one of the most tragic "what-ifs" of the first-wave American punk scene. Released in 1978, the Dead Boys’ sophomore effort was strangled at birth by a record label desperate to convert the band's raw, CBGB-bred chaos into radio-friendly commercial rock. By forcing the legendary but mismatched blues-rock producer Felix Pappalardi into the studio, Sire Records effectively neutralized the band’s primary weapon: their unhinged, dangerous sonic friction. The resulting production acts like a heavy blanket over a wildfire, muting the rhythm section and polishing the guitars into a radio-ready sheen that the band themselves openly despised.
Yet, beneath this controversial sonic varnish lies a collection of songwriting that frequently matches, and occasionally surpasses, their landmark debut. Frontman Stiv Bators anchors the record with his signature snarl, trade-marking a uniquely snotty vocal performance that refuses to be completely tamed by the studio mixing board. Tracks like "3rd Generation Nation" and "Flame Thrower Love" showcase a band that had matured into tighter, more focused songwriters without sacrificing their core nihilism. The melodic hooks are sharper and the arrangements are more deliberate, proving that the Dead Boys were far more than just a novelty act relying on shock value and feedback.
The album also serves as a fascinating showcase for the band's curated influences through its select covers and standout original pieces. Their rendition of The Rolling Stones’ "Tell Me" transforms a 1960s pop-rock ballad into a gritty punk anthem, bridging the gap between garage rock history and the late-70s underground explosion. Meanwhile, the band addresses contemporary true-crime dread on "Son of Sam," capturing the paranoid, gritty atmosphere of New York City during that era. These tracks demonstrate an awareness of their musical landscape, balancing historical reverence with immediate, urban anxieties.
The record's true masterpiece, however, is the haunting closer "Ain't It Fun." Written by guitarist Cheetah Chrome and the late Peter Laughner, this dark, mid-tempo suicide note acts as the definitive epitaph for the first generation of punk rock. Bators delivers the cynical lyrics with a chilling, prophetic sincerity that hits even harder in retrospect given his own untimely death a decade later. While the production clashes ultimately tore the band apart shortly after the album's release, this closing track ensures that We Have Come for Your Children remains an essential, albeit flawed, monument to punk's self-destructive peak.
Ripped from a CD, probably remastered, possibly Japanese
to MP3 @ 320kbps
Dead Boys; We Have Come For Your Children
1. 3rd
Generation Nation
2. I
Won’t Look Back
3. (I
Don’t Wanna Be No) Catholic Boy
4. Flame
Thrower Love
5. Son
Of Sam
6. Tell
Me
7. Big
City
8. Calling
On You
9. Dead
And Alive
10. Ain’t
It Fun
Young, Loud and Snotty still available here

The first three songs are great, but sound so much better on "Night of the Living Dead Boys" -- a quasi-live album with re-recorded vocals by Stiv. I never heard that James Williamson was a candidate to produce this album - wow!
ReplyDeleteSince the Dead Boys debut was remixed and reissued, I wonder if this one is a candidate for the same treatment. I guess it comes down to two questions: do the tapes still exist, and who owns them?
I don't mean to be "that guy" and you probably know this, but Peter Laughner (who wrote "Ain't It Fun") also lived fast and died young. It is indeed a chilling song.
I have to admit that it wasn't until I was researching this album I read that about James Williamson...I also read that Lou Reed was asked but wasn't able to. Either of those two legends producing would have been fantastic to hear.
DeleteNow since you've mentioned both of the two other albums I have by Dead Boys, I suppose I might have to post them sometime this year..
And no, sadly I didn't know about Peter Laughner.
Laughner was in Rocket from the Tombs (where he cowrote Ain't It Fun with Cheetah Chrome), and was an early member of Pere Ubu. He died in 1977 at age 24.
DeleteLaughner also wrote Life Stinks and Amphetamine (the lyrics of which were used by Wilco on their song Misunderstood).
www.discogs.com/Rocket-From-The-Tombs-The-Day-The-Earth-Met-The/release/3325119