Rough Trade, a British indie label founded by Geoff
Travis, was rock's first successful collective and a strong supporter of the
arty, left-leaning post-punk music that emerged in the aftermath of the Sex
Pistols. This U.S.-only compilation introduced Americans to some of the
exciting, innovative music released by Rough Trade between 1977 and 1980. The
collection's opening number is the closest to Pistols-era punk rock:
"Alternative Ulster," a blistering Irish anthem recorded by Stiff
Little Fingers in 1978. Next in the collection is Delta 5's "Mind Your Own
Business," a 1979 recording that proves that abrasive, self-consciously
ironic music can also be incredibly catchy; the guitarist slices through the
propulsory funky rhythm created by the band's drummer and two bassists, while
the vocalist spits out the words with increasingly intense sarcasm. Other
highlights include "Soldier Soldier," a protest punk song by Spizz
Energi; the exuberant "Ain't You" by Kleenex, an all-female Swiss band
that later changed its name to Liliput; the Pop Group's "We Are All
Prostitutes," a chaotic punk-funk-disco political rant with distorted
guitar, drums, saxophone, and cello; "Part Time Punks," a beguilingly
amateurish name-dropping classic by Television Personalities; the Raincoats'
remake of "Man Next Door"; a reggae number by Jamaican singer John
Holt (whose "The Tide Is High" became a hit for Blondie); and Robert
Wyatt's surprisingly haunting rendition of Chic's "At Last I Am
Free." Overall this may be the best single-album collection assembled of
post-punk music.
In 2013, Tal Rosenberg wrote in Chicago Reader that Wanna
Buy a Bridge? "...is probably best known as one of the finest, if not the
finest, collection of British postpunk music." Another favourable review
of the album was written by Robert Christgau, who gave it an A and called it
"superb". Mark Richardson of Pitchfork later described the album as a
key example of "label comps actually [becoming] classics in their own
right:" "I've never heard Wanna Buy a Bridge?, but the fact that I've
heard of it, 23 years after its release, speaks to its classic status."
Ripped to MP3 @
320kbps
Track listing and usual gubbins here

I have this awesome comp but my copy has a green sleeve.
ReplyDeleteI know that there are different coloured sleeves but I've only ever seen blue ones. Green must be pretty rare François.
DeleteMine is green too. I have to wonder about the writers at Pitchfork. "I've never listened to this album, but the title sounds familiar, which leads me to assume that it must be important in some way."
ReplyDeleteI wasn’t going to post the quotes but some of the ridiculous things that I’ve read while researching my posts, Mark Richardson was hilarious 😂
DeleteUsual moronity of Pitchfork's reviews
DeleteI'll agreed with that François
DeleteS'truth all and well said- Pitchfork started out with it's head well up between it's own cheeks where it promptly fell in love with the view....
DeleteThat said,this truly IS one of the great comps of all times, a richness of great songs and a rainbow of different musical approaches. I wish more compilers had learned more about how to do it right from Wanna Buy A Bridge.
Thanks for the chance to hear it again!
respect,
d
dugg, you're more than welcome, and thank you for taking the time to comment on a nearly 2 year old post
DeleteThanks for this!!! I've been looking for this for a while now.
ReplyDelete