Monday, 7 July 2025

Motorhead - Ace Of Spades

With the 1980 release of Ace of Spades, Motörhead had their anthem of anthems (that is, the title track) the one trademark song that would summarize everything that made this early incarnation of the band so legendary, a song that would be blasted by legions of metalheads for generations on end. It's a legendary song, for sure, all two minutes and 49 bracing seconds of it. And the album of the same name is legendary as well, among Motörhead's all-time best, often considered their single best, in fact, along with Overkill. Ace of Spades was Motörhead's third great album in a row, following the 1979 releases of Overkill and Bomber, respectively. Those two albums have a lot in common with Ace of Spaces. The classic line up; Lemmy (bass and vocals), "Fast" Eddie Clarke (guitar), and "Philthy Animal" Taylor (drums); is still in place and sounding as alive and crazed as ever. The album is still rock-solid, boasting several superlative standouts. Actually, besides the especially high number of standouts on Ace of Spades (at least relative to Bomber, which wasn't quite as strong overall as Overkill had been) the only key difference between this 1980 album and its two 1979 predecessors is the producer, in this case Vic Maile. The result of his work isn't all that different from that of Jimmy Miller, the long-time Rolling Stones producer who had worked on Overkill and Bomber, but it's enough to give Ace of Spades a feeling distinct from its two very similar-sounding predecessors. This singular sound (still loud and in your face, rest assured), along with the exceptionally strong song writing and the legendary stature of the title track, makes Ace of Spades the ideal Motörhead album if one were to choose one and only one studio album. It's highly debatable whether Ace of Spades is tops over the breakthrough Overkill, as the latter is more landmark because of its earlier release, and is somewhat rougher around the edges, too. Either way, Ace of Spades rightly deserves its legacy as a classic. There's no debating that.



Ripped, with heartfelt emotion as the final Hammer fell, to MP3

Motörhead; Ace Of Spades

A1.  Ace Of Spades
A2.  Love Me Like A Reptile
A3.  Shoot You In The Back
A4.  Live To Win
A5.  Fast And Loose
A6.  (We Are) The Roadcrew
B1.  Fire Fire
B2.  Jailbait
B3.  Dance
B4.  Bite The Bullet
B5.  The Chase Is Better Than The Catch
B6.  The Hammer



20 comments:

  1. I actually got to meet the guys from Motorhead back in the early 80's...about '82 or '83 if I recall correctly. I was working part time a few hours a week (Saturdays and Sundays) for the only alternative record shop in town at the time. They came in for a scheduled fan meet and greet signing as they were playing in town one Saturday...

    What a bunch of assholes!

    Naw, seriously, they played the asshole role well...part of their image. They kept picking up items (singles, cassettes, albums) saying they would be just taking them...they were screwing with me. Took me a bit to catch on, but really, nice bunch of guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Awesome (with a capitol A) Konrad. What a great Memory! Sadly I never met the guys, but I've loved their music

      Delete
  2. Ace of Spades all .the life!
    Personally I love Bomber more than Overkill.
    Another one that make me jelly is Orgasmatron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Fabio, I love Bomber more than Overkill. Another favourite of mine is Hammered :))

      Delete
  3. My first live show was a punch in my face for eternity: Ace of spade tour 1981 March 17th. Few day after i had 15 years old. I love this record and the live following this tour. No Sleep 'til Hammersmith was issued same year beginning of June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ace Of Spades tour was amazing pogo. I saw them on that tour in Edinburgh Scotland, I was only 16 years old and dressed like a punk with short spikey hair

      Delete
    2. Great blog Sir. Thanks for your shares.
      Fred

      Delete
    3. Thank you Fred, greatly appreciated

      Delete
  4. I have a soft spot for "1916", last one to feature Phil Taylor.

    None of the guys from Ace/Bomber/Overkill are still with us. Then again, considering how they were, not a surprise!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was especially surprised at how long Lemmy survived on his diet...and on the subject of 1916, I don't have it, and I don't know why not...

      Delete
    2. That's an easy one to solve AJ. Crank it up!
      https://we.tl/t-nSFViviIoJ

      Delete
    3. Thanks for 1916 80sfreak

      Delete
  5. Thanx for the ace of spades, AJ! Are there the remasters vinyl covers mate, cheers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be surprised if they are Anon...the file was sourced from a Czech webpage

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this one! Great Album but the original mix sounds thin and no bass. Later CDs sounds horrible! This one is perfect for me, bass is nice and the mix powerful! Better than any FLAC or ALAC from Qobuz and Apple Music. 🤘🏻

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, you should re-do this album every few years, essential, as is orgasmatron, bomber, overkill, 1916
    The one that I play most is No Sleep. Our band just left guitar and bass aside and started a folk band. We've seen Lemmy, no need to act as if....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Folk band??? Whatever floats yer boat Richard. And I agree every few years the blogosphere needs a little Motörhead

      Delete
    2. it was a punk-folk band in 1984, and some months later we learned about The Pogues.

      Delete
    3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sblbzOQSPrI&list=RDsblbzOQSPrI&start_radio=1
      This is not our band, but a band who took Meh to the next level

      Delete