Themes From Great Cities

It might have come to your attention that I'm not a regular poster of love and understanding, which you will just have to get used to. I will however, have bursts of creativity where I move completely randomly from post to post with no rhyme or reason. I have recently posted a few singles (7 & 12”) and the odd bootleg which have been received very well by all who visit. More of the same will continue as you, dear readers, seem to be enjoying them.

Some of the rips are my own, but many more are from other blogs and I’m just sharing the wealth. If other bloggers out there wish to share the rips from my posts, please as I do, host them yourself. To combat this, the FLAC files that are over 6 months old will be replaced with MP3 files.

Finally I am happy to re-up old posts where the link has expired. Please comment in the relevant posts comments box.

Tuesday

The Faculties Of A Broken Heart





Produced by Wire's Colin Newman, If I Die, I Die is Virgin Prunes' proper début album. The album's 14 tracks are the epitome of post-punk adventurism. Here, tribal drums and edgy, spooky, detuned guitars and bouzoukis cross paths and meld with synthesizers and primitive drum machines in an onslaught of off-kilter creativity where everyone from the Fall, PiL, New Order, Siouxsie And the Banshees, and even Bruce Springsteen are called in for reference in a brew that is dangerous, primal, and excessive. Two androgynous frontmen in the foppish Gavin Friday and alluring Guggi create alternate ambiances from warped yet sweet Irish balladry to shrieked poetry. And while the set is messy to be sure, it is far from off-putting. In fact, it is easily the band's most consistent and enduring effort. The albums opens with the haunting, nocturnal minimalism of "Ulankulot," an intro with tom toms and drifting keyboards layered carefully in the background, wordless chanted backing vocals and an electric bouzouki courtesy of guitarist Dik. It immediately gives way to its antecedent "Decline Sand Fall." It's the same tune, only Friday is out in front of it digging deep into the temporality of childhood and what remains of it. Its effect is startling, nocturnal, and tense. In "Sweethome Under White Clouds," the theme is given dimension as Guggi and Friday wail like muzzeins over a reverbed guitar coming from the netherworld and augmented by a soprano saxophone and a synth bassline.
"Pagan Lovesong," the album's proper single, is one of the most angular cuts on the set. Here, the Prunes employ a riff straight out of early Gang of Four, chant their refrains, and swirl the keyboards and drum machines à la Devo yet keep everything so gothic and strange; it's not only compelling, it's infectious. The rest of the album follows suit, with the raucous new wave of "Baby Turns Blue," and the mainstream rockist "Ballad of the Man" that sounds like a wrong-speed outtake, Springsteen's The River and the Mott the Hoople version of "Sweet Jane!" This is a wonderfully confounding and sometimes campy and often disturbing exercise in unfettered creativity that has stood the test of time very well. It is the most necessary Virgin Prunes record of all and captures best what they were capable of when focused.






Along with a rip of the 1993 CD single release of Pagan Lovesong I have included a vinyl rip of the remixed 12" version of "Baby Turns Blue" retitled “The Faculties of a Broken Heart" this is the most complete package of Virgin Prunes circa 1982. If I Die, I Die ripped from the 2004 remastered and expanded CD to FLAC

The Virgin Prunes; If I Die, I Die

1.      Ulakanakulot
2.      Decline And Fall
3.      Sweethome Under White Clouds
4.      Bau-Dachong
5.      Pagan Lovesong
6.      Dave-Id Is Dead
7.      Fádo
8.      Baby Turns Blue
9.      Ballad Of The Man
10.   Walls Of Jericho
11.   Caucasian Walk
12.   Theme For Thought
13.   Chance Of A Lifetime
14.   Yeo

Pagan Love Song CD single ripped from the 1993 reissue on New Rose Records to MP3 @ 320kbps

1.      Pagan Lovesong (Tormentallama)
2.      Love Lasts Forever (Lovelornalimbo)
3.      Pagan Lovesong (Vibeakimbo)
4.      Dave-Id Is Dead

Faculties Of A Broken Heart ripped from the 12" Rough Trade Records single to MP3 @ 320 kbps

A1.  The Faculties Of A Broken Heart (What Should We Do If Baby Turns Blue)
B1.  Chance Of A Lifetime
B2.  Yeo




12 comments:

  1. Thanks Andie! Great post! I had followed your blog a few years ago. I'm assuming it was the same blog because I recall the background picture. Anyway, welcome back if that is the case. I added you to mine. I'll check in when you have new posts! Aces! (RA / Rob)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Rob! This is a complete rework of an idea from waaaaay back to post New Wave/Post Punk/Alternative/Electronic and general oldschool classics.

      Delete
  2. Great post Andie! Feel free to post as much Irish stuff as possible! Also great blog name from a great song!
    I added you to my bloglist, Hope you can return the favour???
    http://yourrecordplayer.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also remember this background picture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gonna be hard posting as much Irish stuff as possible Ian, being that I'm Scottish and will be posting a fair few Scottish bands in the future.
      Thanks for the add, I've returned the favour.

      Delete
    2. Celtic bands then!!!!

      Delete
  4. This is a fine album, already you have posted something I don't have......like the look of the blog, and the music selections thus far.......let me know if there's anything I can help u out with as u have helped me so many times!

    To everyone else, check out my ultra-mega Dickies multi day post, in effect right now at Growing Bored For a Living

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog - This Virgin Prunes and the PIL Metal Box posts were excellent - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Thank You for taking the time to comment jsayers, I hope you continue to check back as the months pass.

      Delete
  6. I have been raiding your blog for downloads today. Lots of wonderful stuff! I wonder if you could upload the Virgin Prunes again. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming up with If I Die...in FLAC

      Delete