Though it was by no means the greatest John Peel session
that the Cure ever recorded (that honour belongs to their 1981 airing), the
band's debut on the show, in late 1978, remains one of their best-loved, as the
then all but unknown quartet previewed four of the songs that knowing
journalists had already tagged the sound of "the southern Buzzcocks."
Recorded on November 12 for broadcast on December 4, "Killing an
Arab" (the group's still-unreleased debut single), "10:15 Saturday
Night," "Fire in Cairo," and "Boys Don't Cry" all
peeled out of Robert Smith's then-firm grasp on the mechanics of post-punk
power pop, a little rougher and rawer than the versions that would eventually
make it onto vinyl, but crackling with precision and energy regardless. Indeed,
bassist Michael Dempsey later admitted, "the Peel session songs captured
the spirit far more than the album versions, they’re more like the original
demos that had secured our recording contract in the first place, just better
quality. All the songs in the first Peel session should be seen as the
definitive sound of the early Cure."
I’m not sure where these six Cure sessions all came from.
Some are on the bootleg Early BBC Sessions 1979 – 1985 others are from sources
as bland as the usual tapes we all made of the Peel Shows. Quality over all is
good (it is MP3 after all) and let us not get all bunched up about source
material, these are after all, all bootlegged.
The Cure; Peel Sessions 1978-1985
1st Peel Session 1978:
1. Killing
An Arab
2. 10-15
Saturday Night
3. Fire
In Cairo
4. Boys
Don't Cry
2nd Peel Session 1979:
1. Desperate
Journalist In Ongoing Meaningful Review Situation
2. Grinding
Halt
3. Subway
Song
4. Plastic
Passion
5. Accuracy
3rd Peel Session 1980:
1. A
Forest
2. 17
Seconds
3. Play
For Today
4. M
4th Peel Session 1981:
1. Holy
Hour
2. Forever
3. Primary
4. All
Cats Are Grey
5th Peel Session 1982:
1. Siamese
Twins
2. A
Hundred Years
3. Figurehead
6th Peel Session 1985:
1. The
Exploding Boy
2. 6
Different Ways
3. Screw
4. Sinking


Thanks for these.
ReplyDelete-Xtm
Welcome Christopher
DeleteYes, thank you for compiling these Peel Sessions! The albums from 78 through 81 are my favorites, and I'm happy to have versions of so many of my favorite songs from that era.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome Jonder. I believe my love affair with The Cure finished around 84 with The Top yet I also enjoy Bloodflowers and Disintegration...
DeleteNo,really?,can this be true?,Thank You from a greatful American fan who finally gets to here these.,Shawn.
ReplyDeleteThanks Shawn, I hope you're enjoying hearing these sessions
DeleteSo exited,I couldn't spell correctly.
ReplyDelete😉 I don’t think anyone would have noticed
Deletesuper
ReplyDeleteAwesome
Delete