Sunday, 21 September 2025

TV21 - A Thin Red Line

TV21 were from Edinburgh, Scotland and were only around long enough to issue this classic long player "A Thin Red Line" and a few singles before disappearing into the distance. The last thing I remember hearing about them was that were appearing as a support group to the Rolling Stones on their "Tattoo You" tour dates in Scotland. TV21 issued a single in early 1982 "All Join Hands" then simply disappeared. I thought they were a group with immense promise and a glowing future. At the time of the release of "A Thin Red Line" TV21 were hot property in the UK music press, I remember them having a full colour cover feature in Melody Maker and their album was greeted with glowing reviews. "A Thin Red Line" was issued in November of 1981, a year where one great album was released every month. From the likes of The Undertones, The Comsat Angels, Teardrop Explodes, The Passions, The Sound, Echo & The Bunnymen, Wah! and even U2’s debut album Boy.
Enough Now! Back to why you’re here, the fabulous music of TV21. I was initially attracted to the group because they were described as a cross between The Jam and Teardrop Explodes (two of my favourite groups at the time) and looking back I would say that is a pretty accurate comparison. In reality the group clearly had a sound of their own which was more than clearly demonstrated on this flawless debut album. The opening number "Waiting For The Drop" hits you immediately with its Joy Division-ish bass line and Teardrop Explodes style horn section. While I do think the Teardrop Explodes comparison is just, although TV21 had a more aggressive sound, highlighted by Norman Rodger's gruff vocals.



A Thin Red Line ripped from a very vinyl album to MP3 @ 320kbps
TV21: A Thin Red Line

A1.  Waiting For The Drop
A2.  Ideal Way Of Life
A3.  This Is Zero
A4.  Ticking Away
A5.  It Feels Like It's Starting To Rain
B1.  Snakes And Ladders
B2.  What's Going On?
B3.  Something's Wrong
B4.  When I Scream
B5.  Tomorrow
B6.  Attention Span

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to getting more familiar with this band.
    thanks a bunch AJ. - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. absolutely right Fabio...more people need to know about TV21 as their career was so very short

      Delete
  3. I saw them in 1981 supporting The Undertones at the Hammersmith Palais. TV21 were amazing. (The Undertones were of course perfect). It's one of my best gig going memories of the eighties. Snakes and Ladders should have been huge. My mate and I always played it at discos as a "see if the crowd like it" tester and it never failed to go down a storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that people still remember TV21.

      Delete