Friday, 16 January 2026

Xmal Deutschland - Toscin

Xmal Deutschland's second full-length album is a creative high point, a Teutonic marriage of Siouxsie & the Banshees, inviting Goth-pop and the majestic sonic spaces of the Cocteau Twins. Less off puttingly bleak than the quartet's earlier album, but without the unfortunate candy coating of the albums that followed, these 11 songs are precariously balanced between neo-psychedelic pop in the traditional 4AD style -- the opening "Mondlicht" would not sound out of place on a This Mortal Coil album -- and the more aggressive, artsy sound of their first EPs. The formula is clearly winning; "Incubus Succubus II," a much glossier remake of the song that first garnered attention for the group in the underground clubs, features a less tortured (but still German-language) vocal from Anja Huwe over a smooth, throbbing pulse that trades in the spiky scrappiness of the original for a clean, but not antiseptic thrust. The clash of styles actually works quite well, giving Tocsin a palpable creative tension that adds a frisson of intensity to what might otherwise be just another collection of Goth-pop tunes.

Ripped from the CD release of Toscin to MP3

Xmal Deutschland; Toscin

1.      Mondlicht
2.      Eiland
3.      Reigen
4.      Tag Für Tag
5.      Augen-Blick
6.      Begrab Mein Herz
7.      Nachtschatten
8.      Xmas In Australia
9.      Derwish
10.   Incubus Succubus
11.   Vito
Incubus Succubus II 12”
12.     Incubus Succubus II
13.     Vito

11 comments:

  1. Dankeschön.
    (mp3 192-320 wäre mir lieber gewesen wegen Platzverbrauch,
    vielleicht parallel zu flac posten ?)
    Hermann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herr Hermann, I can post in MP3 parallel with FLAC but that reduces how much I can store online, or I continue to post MP3's on Zippyshare, with all the hassle that entails for the downloader.

      I'll continue to post MP3 rips parallel to Zippy for the next few months

      Delete
  2. Love it! Thanks. FLAC all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the effort.
    Hermann

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent write up
    FLAC me
    while clearly indebted to the banshees i like them and never liked anything other than the banshees singles
    the third album wasn't bad - sounds like it had record company input if you know what i mean

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great album. You don't often say whether you like. Bring your feelings in AJ !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty Jack, I like Toscin but not as much as I loved Fetisch, but over all...in my more mature years...Viva is my favourite

      Delete
  6. Is there a chance that someone would upload Xmal's Sinled Out - The Complete A & B-sides in FLAC?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't do a FLAC rip, but I have an MP3 @ 320...I can sense a post coming up

      Delete
  7. My vinyl of this is in pretty good shape but with no turntable I can't listen to it. Now I can hear it again. Many thanks, AJ.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete