Friday, 16 January 2026

Xmal Deutschland - Fetisch

FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! To translate a line from the rare ZickZack 12” single “Incubus Sucubus”, is how your first impression of Xmal Deutschland should sound like. A physical, rhythmic flirtation with a colossus that captures a raw, pulsating energy; a resonance that throbs and shudders with an acute, refreshing sense of being alive.
“Fetisch”, the album, harnesses enough of that resonance to be a vital post punk release, one of the few records that actually has some semblance of purpose, meaning and belonging in the present day. The 'mystery' which many reviewers have referred to stretches further than the simple exotica of their singing in a foreign tongue.  Thankfully some of these 'mysteries' are best left unsolved allowing a temptation to continue savouring the subject from a safe distance. But it is that allure again, that having to know what they’re banging on about, which draws one on.
While most West German post-punk and new wave bands of the early 80’s explored Atavism and Dadaism, Xmal Deutschland applied the dogma of German expressionism in dark-punk. Thus “Fetisch” is a mixture of gothic-rock, noise-rock, and electronic-rock; it is heavy, relentless, expressionistic and austere.  In the middle of all this pandemonium, only the lyricism of "Boomerang" provides the listener with temporary relief.

Ripped to MP3 from the 

Xmal Deutschland; Fetisch

01.  Qual
02.  Geheimnis
03.  Young Man
04.  In der Nacht
05.  Orient
06.  Hand In Hand
07.  Kaempfen
08.  Danthem
09.  Boomerang
10.  Stummes Kind
Qual 12”
11. Qual (12” Mix)
12. Zeit
13. Sehnsucht

5 comments:

  1. Qual 12" is an effing monster and one of my earliset purchases. Fetisch LP is a bit harder to love.

    Blogmeister (AJ) post something at EWSA to attract my attention - I'm a member there. I post anon. here 'cos i like my privacy. I'm gonna start a blog next year (said that last year).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I'm not a member at ESWA (or whatever it's known as now) but I tend to agree that Qual 12" is an effing monster and well worth a download just for it alone.

      Thanks for the comment, at least I know that someone is enjoying what I post

      Delete
  2. Loved xmal back in the day - still love Qual (was my getting ready to go out music back then)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Getting Ready To Go Out Music was as important as the crimpers, someone to backcomb the crimped hair and Bristows Hairspary to hold it all in place...back in the day.

      Delete
  3. I have this LP so I look forward to the flac upgrade. I don't know if I have ever heard the singles or not so I'm ready for anything they throw at me. Many thanks.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete