Themes From Great Cities

It might have come to your attention that I'm not a regular poster of love and understanding, which you will just have to get used to. I will however, have bursts of creativity where I move completely randomly from post to post with no rhyme or reason. I have recently posted a few singles (7 & 12”) and the odd bootleg which have been received very well by all who visit. More of the same will continue as you, dear readers, seem to be enjoying them.

Some of the rips are my own, but many more are from other blogs and I’m just sharing the wealth. If other bloggers out there wish to share the rips from my posts, please as I do, host them yourself. To combat this, the FLAC files that are over 6 months old will be replaced with MP3 files.

Finally I am happy to re-up old posts where the link has expired. Please comment in the relevant posts comments box.

Tuesday

SHADOW




Though history rarely credits the Lurkers as much more than West London's answer to the Ramones, think carefully before you assume it's a put-down. The Ramones influenced many groups, after all, but how many of them responded by taking the New Yorkers' blueprint and making it wholly their own?
Formed late in 1976 the band were one of the pioneering punk bands that played live in the first few months of the now-legendary Roxy Club in London. Their debut single "Shadow", the first release on Beggars Banquet Records, was voted by John Peel's listeners as the twelfth best track of the year in 1977's Festive Fifty.
The band’s début album, Fulham Fallout, is an astonishing accomplishment, a blur of high octane riffs and unforgettable hooks tumbling over one another without a care for manners or niceties. When the band is at its best (notably in their singles "Ain't Got a Clue," "I Don't Need to Tell Her," and "Shadow...") with production that really makes the guitar kick. It's sloppy and amateurish, but that's what makes it so great.

Fourteen tracks make up the original LP; this Captain Oi reissue adds a further dozen bonus tracks, drawn from B-sides, compilations, demos and more. "Be My Prisoner" appeared on Streets, a landmark 1977 compilation album of early UK punk bands from a variety of independent record labels.



Taken from the 1997 CD to glorious MP3 @ 320kbps

Track List

            01. Ain't Got A Clue
            02. I Don't Need To Tell her
            03. Total War
            04. Hey You
            05. Shadow
            06. Then I Kicked Her
            07. Go Go Go
            08. Jenny
            09. Time Of Year
            10. Self Destruct
            11. It's Quiet Here
            12. Gerald
            13. I'm On Heat
            14. Be My Prisoner
            15. Shadow (Single Version)
            16. Love Story (B’Side)
            17. Freak Show (Single Version)
            18. Mass Media Believer (B’Side)
            19. Ooh! Ooh! I Love You (B’Side-Ain’t Got A Clue)
            20. Pills (B’Side-I Don’t Need To Tell Her)
            21. We Are The Chaos Brothers (Bonus Track)
            22. Be My Prisoner (Streets Compilation Track)
            23. Total War (Demo)
            24. Then I Kissed Her (Demo)
            25. I Love The Dark (LP Demo)
            26. Freak Show (LP Demo)




4 comments:

  1. thanx for sharing this classic
    richie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting. Great band. Great lp. A photo of footballer Stuart Pearce famously appears on the sleeve of the follow up - God's Lonely Men - but I always thought that the face in the top right hand corner here, also bears a resemblance to Psycho!

    ReplyDelete