Sunday, 15 March 2026

Sex Gang Children - Beasts 12'' EP

Released in June 1982 on the Illuminated label, the Beasts 12" EP by Sex Gang Children is widely regarded as a cornerstone release of the early Batcave/positive punk scene. It established the band's signature, highly theatrical, and dark gothic rock sound. The EP is characterized by a mix of dark, atmospheric post-punk with strong glam rock and cabaret influences, featuring heavy, driving bass lines, tribal-esque drumming, and jagged, "shifting shadow" guitars. 


A superb four track EP showcasing Sex Gang Children's off-kilter rhythms and strangely catchy but distinctly weedy guitar lines. With Andi's near-incoherent multi-tracked howl of a vocal and the stuttering, jarring drumlines. Beefheart's Magic Band and US Maple probably trained for months to get their dissonant, stumbling style together. Here, it feels natural. Which may or not be a good thing, depending upon your view of how important virtuosity is in music. Personally, I couldn't care less, and if it sounds cool, that's good enough for me. Ok, it doesn't exactly sound cool either, what with it being goth, and goth is never, ever, cool. But I love it. Talking of not making sense, what the hell is "The Queen of the Artichokes"? I'm semi-convinced Andi developed his screeching vocals stylings just to hide the fact that some of his lyrics were distinctly peculiar. Ok. Stumbling, nonsensical, incoherent, rather like this review. But great. That's where we differ, I guess.


Ripped to MP3

A1. Beasts
A2. Sense Of Elation 
B1. Times Of Our Lives 
B2. Cannibal Queen


No comments:

Post a Comment