Released in 1985, Alien Sex Fiend's Maximum Security is recognized as a landmark,, goth-industrial album that refined their chaotic sound with more deliberate,, atmospheric, and "haunted" elements, often featuring tracks like "Dead and Buried". While early reviews found it to be a "bleak" and "monotonous" continuation, retrospectives often highlight its influential,, moody, and, theatrical soundscape, making it a favourite for many fans. Maximum Security is a big departure from the first two albums, and the least of all the Fiendworks. Bleak and predominantly slow, the material is built on machine beats (replacing Ha-Ha’s human touch) and suffers from a somewhat monotonous sameness. The title track (also released as a 45) is a notable exception.
Not really as good as Acid Bath, still much better than the debut.
Yet again, context seems to matter. I remember not caring about "Mine's Full of Maggots" before, but it sounds rather nice here. I could posit a theory that ASF are actually musical scientists and they achieve this effect deliberately... but it also might just be that I've gotten more used to their style. Semi-incompetent, mostly incoherent, minimal, often punch-pulling, built around atmospheres and electronic beats and the slightest little bit of bleak melody. Trap could be the ASF of rap music, maybe - new way of seeing it. I don't know.
But back to the musical scientist theory - of the first three albums, Acid Bath is the only one which opens with a good song. I thought it was weird that they'd open this one with (and name this one after) what is quite easily the most boring song on the album. Maybe it's just to make the stuff after it sound more exciting? It's not impossible. I keep finding myself impressed by how the Fiends stack albums.
Anyway, "Mine's Full of Maggots" is at least much better than the opener, and the opener is at least better than most of the debut. This album is probably the slowest ASF release yet, with tracks like "In and Out of My Mind" fixating more on ambiance. It also has some surprisingly good guitar parts, particularly in "Spies" which offers another small glimpse of something ASF did in the '80s which actually does sound similar to deathrock now. ASF offers the listener these little crumbs, the bones...
"Fly in the Ointment" is good, too. Kind of mini-"Hee Haw"-esque, so it's satisfyingly creepy. After everything before it, "Depravity Lane" sounds outright super-melodic. Maybe the best song here, but honestly I'd have to listen again.
Bonus tracks: best are the live versions of "Hee Haw" and "Ignore the Machine." The electrode mix is also good, but I've heard it a lot already.
Ripped to MP3
1. I'm Doing Time In A Maximum Security Twilight Home
2. Mine's Full Of Maggots
3. Do You Sleep
4. In And Out Of My Mind
5. Spies
6. Fly In The Ointment
7. Seconds To Nowhere
8. The Beaver Destroys Forests
9. Do You Sleep (Version)
10. Depravity Lane (Think I'll Take A Trip)
BONUS TRACKS
11. Ignore The Machine (Electrode Mix)
12. Attack!!!! (Live at The BBC)
13. Dead And Buried (Live at The BBC)
14. Hee-Haw (Live at The BBC)
15. Ignore The Machine (Live at The BBC)

No comments:
Post a Comment