Annnndddd suddenly it’s Monday 22nd, where ya all been?
You’ve got to hand it to these hardy Camden, New Jersey natives. Pretty Poison, probably the first group ever to cover a Tuxedomoon composition (which they did on a flexidisc included with one of several rare self-released singles), kept going through the ’80s without recognition long enough to somehow wind up scoring an honest-to-god Top 10 soundtrack single in 1987.
“Catch Me I’m Falling,” recorded for a quickly forgotten Jon Cryer film called Hiding Out, did the trick; a bouncy, insistent dance hit with stuttering production that clicked, thanks to numerous soundalikes polluting the airwaves around the same time. Caught off guard by their runaway success, it took Pretty Poison a while to pull an album together, using an assortment of producers. Indeed, a few of the songs (including “Let Freedom Ring” and “Nighttime”) on Catch Me I’m Falling are remakes of old indie releases, a sign of material shortage. In any case, the album of predictable, utilitarian high-tech dancercise is no better or worse than the single that induced it.
Ripped to MP3
1 Hold Me 5:37
2 Nightime 4:17
3 Closer 6:05
4 When I Look Into Your Eyes 4:12
5 Let Freedom Ring 4:33
6 Catch Me I'm Falling 4:54
7 The Look 5:13
8 Don't Cry Baby 5:05
9 Shine 4:42
10 Heaven 5:04
Laced 12" ripped to MP3
1. Seal It With a Kiss
2. Let Freedom Ring
3. Expiration
4. Tempest Nightmare


Weekend OST jams with 007 Chase Moore, Innovative BASS Productions, Ennio Morricone, John Carpenter.
ReplyDeleteCrass, GBH, Throbbing Gristle, Throwing Muses, B-52's and Fred Schneider solo, Cowboys and Aliens (!)
I see Laced not Catch Me I'm Falling
ReplyDeletethanks for the catch...sorted
DeleteYes, Laced twice and no catching me falling.....and no No Tears. But thanks for reminding me. Looked it up on discogs, and had a listen. Damn 15 again.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful blog.
You never cease to amaze. GunsNRoses are on my bad alphabet (from AhBah to zzSTOP!) So, Well Done for shaking me through and thourgh.
I think I should say You're Welcome Richard...hope you enjoyed being 15 again
Delete