Thanks to a wee comment by Leedshippriest on the Positive Noise album Heart Of Darkness post, I remembered that I had a couple of early singles from the band that I always meant to post about 4 years ago…so finally, and at long last, here are two of them. Give Me Passion and Positive Negative were both released in 1981 (along with Charm which I don’t have) as stand-alone singles. Give Me Passion was their debut single from around March 1981 and is worth the price of admission alone. The single bounces along with vocals shouted rather than sung, a drummer who’s having a breakdown and period keyboards that today feel a little too high in the mix. Yes there are guitar and bass but they’re a little drowned in sound. The second track Ghosts made its way onto the debut album and rightly so. No doubt better debut singles exist but this is definitely there or there about for a Scottish band during 1981.
The Positive Negative single is much more synth-pop with an eye on the dance floor. New vocalist Russell Blackstock takes the band in a far poppier direction than the shouted vocals of Ross Middleton. Trumpets break out in the extended 12” version, which had been a small feature on the debut album used to great effect, but here they sound dated and rushed. The New Wave officianardos amongst you will be wetting yourselves waiting for this download to open…others will be like “Bleh!” So a big thank you to the hip priest of Leeds for reminding me.
Both 12” singles in one folder, ripped by DJJedRedy to MP3 @ 320kbps

Thanks for posting - great band (especially if you like The Chameleons) and a real shame they have nothing released on digital.
ReplyDeleteThere was a CD compilation once, but it's long been deleted...which is just as well that I have managed to track down all but TWO of their recordings with the help of DJ Jed Redy @ MyVinylDreams which equates to all three of their albums and almost all of their singles, 7" & 12" bar one b'side and a one track from a compilation of early Statik bands. Maybe one day I'll post them all
Delete