Released in 1980 by the English anarcho-punk band Crass, "Nagasaki Nightmare / Big A Little A" is a definitive double A-side single that perfectly captures the band's fierce anti-establishment ideology. "Nagasaki Nightmare" delivers a chaotic, visceral critique of nuclear warfare and its human cost, while "Big A Little A" stands as an iconic anarchist anthem that champions individual autonomy and fiercely rejects institutional control, capitalism, and religion. Packaged in a signature fold-out poster sleeve featuring stark collage artwork by Gee Vaucher, the self-released vinyl embodied the DIY punk ethic by explicitly printing a capped retail price on the cover to protect fans from exploitation.
Released in 1980, Crass’s "Nagasaki Nightmare / Big A Little A" stands as a towering masterclass in radical DIY art, juxtaposing two distinct sonic structures to deliver a unified assault on institutional power. "Nagasaki Nightmare" is a terrifyingly avant-garde experience, trading standard punk tempos for a jarring, industrial cacophony that mirrors the horrors of nuclear fallout. The dual vocals of Joy de Vivre and Steve Ignorant cut through a dense wall of screeching feedback and militaristic drumming, creating an uncomfortable, claustrophobic atmosphere that forces the listener to confront the grim realities of state-sanctioned violence. It is less of a traditional song and more of a visceral sonic assault, showcasing the band's willingness to abandon melody entirely in service of raw, political urgency.
In sharp contrast, "Big A Little A" pivots into an infectious, driving punk anthem that balances the record's bleakness with a fierce sense of optimistic resistance. Driven by a remarkably catchy bassline and a crisp, marching drumbeat, the track serves as the ultimate handbook for individual autonomy, urging listeners to reject the conditioning of the state, church, and nuclear family. Steve Ignorant delivers some of his most charismatic and articulate vocals, transforming dense political theory into a series of punchy, unforgettable slogans. Wrapped in Gee Vaucher’s stark, iconic fold-out poster artwork, the single transcends its era, remaining an essential, deeply influential blueprint for how music can be used as an uncompromised weapon of social agitation.
Ripped to MP3 @ 320kbps
A - Nagasaki Nightmare
AA - Big A Little A

Crass NOT racist, Crass honor our ancestors, unlike lying media. Nagasaki was fire-bombed like Hiroshima, like Tokio. Nuclear weapons are fake like Covid, fake like ISIS, fake like energy crisis, fake like climate change. History is written by liars with big wallets.
ReplyDeleteIs there anything else you'd like to add to your list of fakes?? Like yourself maybe??
Deletehe's totally right about the fire bombing. You're defending imperialists?
DeleteWhile I understand that different people have different views over what happened in the past, fire bombing Nagasaki, Hiroshima and Tokyo needs to be explained to me. I'm open to discussion and have never knowingly defended an imperialist (I'd love to hear your explanation of what imperialisim is). Have at it.
DeleteNo, I do not think that when you say there were nuclear bombs thrown upon Nagasaki and Hiroshimo that one is defending imperialists. The Japanese were as bad as the Nazi-Germans in WW2. And 40 years ago the Crass made a funny 7'', sarcastic and in line with the attitude of early 1980s. Today a lot of people are oversensitive and respond totally unsensitive.
DeleteInteresting! I guess I never realized that the Japanese systematically killed millions of Jews in concentration camps ... oh wait, I get it! Our history books are lying to us. In reality, the Nazis were just defending their living space (Lebensraum, look it up), Black people were the ones who actually invented slavery, ... and Donald "Orangutan" Trump is actually the least racist, least corrupt, and least fraudulent person of all time. Say what you will, but I think that COVID really killed some brain cells. LOL
DeleteOne grandparent survived the Death Camps of the Japs. When warcrimes are above a certain level it is all just too much. I am not in a race to seek the baddest baddie of history.
DeletePlease go to sleep. go to sleep yourself. You have to look up about WWII, where my parents and grand parents went through it. Stop your bullshitting.
Slavery is not invented by blacks, it was around ever since humans crawled out of the trees. (Or as some see it, since the gods created them)
Go to a political forum. This is just a lovely musicblog
ReplyDeleteThanks for the defence Anon
DeleteAJ, thank you for another rare 7" Single. I thought I had everything by CRASS, but I don't think I have this single. Love your comments as always! You're absolutely right, and I would bet that Steve Ignorant would actually agree with you! Anyways, it's hard to pick a favorite track from CRASS' amazing catalogue, but I would probably go with "Do They Owe Us A Living" or "Big A, Little A".
ReplyDeleteIntriguing comments! Does anyone have anything to say about Israel? Ha ha ha... Sorry, AJ, just kidding.
ReplyDelete