From Buzzcocks to Britpop, Manchester North Of England is the ultimate tribute to the independent output of that most important and iconic of musical cities, with 146 tracks across seven CDs in a deluxe box set. Compiled by the team behind other Cherry Red box sets (Scared To Get Happy, Still In A Dream, Millions Like Us, Action Time Vision, etc.), this tells the story of how indie music exploded in Manchester after the rush of Punk and the seminal release of the Buzzcocks Spiral Scratch EP. With exhaustive sleeve-notes by the cities leading music journalist of the era, Mick Middles, and a foreword by Mark Radcliffe, Manchester North Of England includes many of the key bands from the late 70s to the early 90s Joy Division, The Fall, New Order, James, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Morrissey, John Cooper Clarke, 808 State, A Certain Ratio, Durutti Column, The Charlatans and last but not least, Oasis. Although the scene was dominated by blokes with guitars, which is reflected here, Manchester North Of England also doffs its cap to reggae, soul, singer-songwriters, hip-hop, avant garde, techno/industrial and dance music. Many of the tracks appear on CD for the first time, from the Punk explosion through Factory Records, post-punk, the jangly C86 period, Madchester, Indie-Dance and the early 90s transition into what would become Britpop.
Ripped to a massive FLAC file and an equally large MP3 @ 320kbps

Whoa! Have you got shares in Cherry Red AJ? Mega post! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteIt's not often that there's been focused albums such as this where everything is about the one city over a number of years...I'd love to find one focused on Liverpool, or Scotland with this much content. Cherry Red have the right idea to concentrate on these localised areas where there is such a massive amount of talented artists in many different generes all making brilliant music.
DeleteI notice that they do a 4 CD set covering Sheffield 1978-88, but without any Cabaret Voltaire! Licencing issues can really mess up these compilations.
DeleteI've still to find a copy of that compilation, and many others that Cherry Red produced.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Delete'Does a little dance!' Cheers RP
DeleteDo you have "Revolutionary Spirit: The Sound of Liverpool 1976-1988" a 5 CD box set? If not how can I pm you?
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteCan anyone refer to a better host than the one listed for downloading? Two of the slowest hosts on the internet. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI would normally use Mega, but the size of the files would choke the remaining space I have on my account, so I'll do you a deal thanksloads...I'll host the MP3 file for one week (7 days) from today (uploading to Mega as I type).
Deletehttps://mega.nz/file/PdpVEYrY#OSREj1lA2h364Boeq3NCJMiSzKDgdMytYwfMq6oFy-E
AJ just to let you know, I have three accounts at MEGA by getting/using three different emails: hotmail, goowy and yahoo as the free storage gets used. Still haven't paid for a file hosting site since I began posting in 2008.
DeleteI used to free host everything, but it got so frustrating when the file was deleted that I settled for an account with Mega that theoretically could store everything...I think I may review the files this summer
Delete