One of the best Lps ever recorded during the latter half of the 20th century, period. Though they released really strong Lps during the 1980s, UTBBS is the best of the batch to my ears/brain.
My favourite albums tend to follow the following pattern: 1) Much excitement on discovering new release by a favoured band (remember back when album releases were only when you saw them at the record store - not as per an internet marketing campaign?). 2) Hurry to listen to album (at home, on vinyl) and a slow feeling of puzzlement - followed by complete confusion. This was not just a continuation of their previous work. 3) One or two songs are sufficiently ear-wormy to require a few more listens of the album. 4) A slow dawning of the utter genius of the album 5) Album becomes treasured.
See also English Settlement by XTC (released 40 years ago this week, I believe).
I only had this record of the band until years later hearing the first then recording 4th of July video off MTV like I usually did from Cutting Edge show. Neighbor had the later around this time I could hear but saw them a couple times at First Ave and both times during Valentines Day where they had tables on the dance floor with nice white sheets and other half dance so appropriate you are posting on the holiday (I was out of office getting tooth pulled and neighbor teeth filed for a return trip to take of temp's and put in crowns and bridge...LOL
Absolutely no contest here. "The Have Nots" intro? Phew...
ReplyDeleteOne of the best Lps ever recorded during the latter half of the 20th century, period. Though they released really strong Lps during the 1980s, UTBBS is the best of the batch to my ears/brain.
ReplyDeleteMy favourite albums tend to follow the following pattern: 1) Much excitement on discovering new release by a favoured band (remember back when album releases were only when you saw them at the record store - not as per an internet marketing campaign?). 2) Hurry to listen to album (at home, on vinyl) and a slow feeling of puzzlement - followed by complete confusion. This was not just a continuation of their previous work. 3) One or two songs are sufficiently ear-wormy to require a few more listens of the album. 4) A slow dawning of the utter genius of the album 5) Album becomes treasured.
ReplyDeleteSee also English Settlement by XTC (released 40 years ago this week, I believe).
I only had this record of the band until years later hearing the first then recording 4th of July video off MTV like I usually did from Cutting Edge show. Neighbor had the later around this time I could hear but saw them a couple times at First Ave and both times during Valentines Day where they had tables on the dance floor with nice white sheets and other half dance so appropriate you are posting on the holiday (I was out of office getting tooth pulled and neighbor teeth filed for a return trip to take of temp's and put in crowns and bridge...LOL
ReplyDeleteI have an original LP but my turntable died a few years ago so I am very much looking forward to listening to it again. Many thanks!
ReplyDeleteBrian