Thursday, 3 February 2022

Coming Down

For Thursday it’s time to talk about graphic novels or comics if you like. Being a child born in the 60’s I was an avid reader of all things comic in the 70’s in the UK. I had Battle / Action with my favourite strips in Battle being Major Easy and Rat Pack. There was also a strip in Action about a shark with a gaff hook sticking out of its lower jaw, ironically title Hook Jaw. Please comment if you also remember any of the early to mid 70’s UK comics. It was a different style of storytelling in the UK comics that Marvel and DC didn’t capture for me. I wasn’t interested in fantasy heroes; I wanted gritty violent gore and more down to earth stories that Battle and Action offered separately and less so when joined together. Graphic ultra-violence, edgy war stories, and cool assed characters floated my youthful pre-teen boat. In 1977 everything changed with the 37th edition of Action being withdrawn and pulped due to the ultra-violence and anarchy depicted within. One month later Action returned noticeably tamed down, eventually being merged with Battle. By that time I had lost interest with them and had picked up the new kid on the block, 2000AD.

Was there ever a better time to be alive?? Yeah every next generation feels that their time is better than the previous ones. That maybe so…but I seriously doubt it. Darker Matter Vol 12 is available in MP3 @ 320kbps with the following enclosed.

1.     Spectres – Last Days

2.     Spectres – Nothing To Nowhere

3.     Spectres – Utopia

4.     Spectres – Hindsight

5.     The Black Veils – Carnage

6.     The Crüxshadows – As The Dark Against My Halo

 


3 comments:

  1. Occults - Sacred Heart EP (2022)

    https://terabox.com/s/1oZhGITPsZtGii9W7nG0ZhA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sure relate to your fondness for the UK 70s comics. I still read 2000ad first before any other books.

    ReplyDelete