Tuesday, 7 July 2026

A Flock Of Seagulls - A Flock Of Singles

If one was a nascent young synth-pop act hailing from Liverpool around 1979, taking a brisk walk along the shores of the river Mersey with at least a bit of inspiration found in an old Stranglers song (`Toiler On The Sea’), Mike and Ali Score continued the time honoured Liverpudlian tradition of naming bands with flair. A Flock Of Seagulls were born amidst contemporaries such as OMD, Echo And The Bunnymen, The Teardrop Explodes and Pink Military Stands Alone.
Together with Frank Maudsley and Paul Reynolds their debut single `(It’s Not Me) Talking’ was issued on Bill Nelson’s Cocteau imprint in 1981. A Flock of Seagulls signed a major-label contract with CBS backed Jive Records by the end of the year and their debut `Telecommunication,’ becoming an underground hit in the new wave clubs of the day. Modern Love Is Automatic EP followed quickly towards the end of 1981 with a second version of the 12”EP being released in early 1982 with an additional track. Their eponymous debut album appeared in the spring of 1982 closely followed by their third single for Jive, `I Ran (So Far Away)’ that brought them out of the clubs and into heavy rotation just missing the UK Top 40. The follow-up single `Space Age Love Song’ also managed to chart, but we had to wait until `Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)’ finally broke through in both the UK and US markets.



If you hadn’t already figured out that there might be a bunch of AFOS singles in the offing you’re probably dead already.


Ripped to MP3 A Flock Of Seagulls; A Flock Of Singles.


(It’s Not Me) Talking 7” 

A.      (It’s Not Me) Talking
B.      Factory Music



Telecommunication 12” 

A.      Telecommunication
B1.   Intro
B2.   Tanglimara



Modern Love Is Automatic 12”EP 

A1.  Modern Love Is Automatic
A2.  D.N.A.
B1.   Windows
B2.   You Can Run



I Ran (So Far Away) 12” 

A.      I Ran (Edit – Video Mix)
B1.   Messages
B2.   Pick Me Up


 
Space Age Love Song 7” 

A.      Space Age Love Song (7” Edit)
B.      Windows



Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) 12” 

A.      Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) (Long Version)
B1.   Committed
B2.   Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) (Short Version)

 
PLUS.... A Flock Of Seagulls - John Peel Session - 12 May 1981

8 comments:

  1. My favorite "80s band". But they were so much more. (In the beginning, at least.) If you don't have these, grab them... every one is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff!
    Thanks ever so much for these.

    ReplyDelete