Good As Gold was a giant leap forward for New Orleans' Red Rockers after Condition Red. No longer satisfied with being merely Clash imitators, they moved towards a more accessible sound while maintaining their punk edginess. Good As Gold is quick and tight power pop, fast paced (most songs clock in under four minutes), lean, and consistent from start to finish. The opening blast "China," with its bouncy rhythm and catchy chorus, deservedly became a modest hit. The title cut follows in that vein, a cautionary tale on the trappings of materialism. The highly danceable "'til It All Falls Down" could have been a club hit, but during the synth-pop era probably it never had a chance. Red Rockers voice their political concerns on "Change the World Around" and "Home is Where the War Is," the latter tune a ringer for early U2. With nary a false step in its 36 minutes, Good As Gold was a terrific record that pointed to a promising future.
Ripped from the reissue two disc set (yeah…I might post it) to edgy new wave FLAC
Red Rockers; Good As Gold
1. China
2. Good As Gold
3. Dreams Fade Away
4. Change The World Around
5. Answers To The Questions
6. ‘Til It All Falls Down
7. Running Away From You
8. Fanfare For Metropolis
9. (Come On Into) My House
10. Home Is Where The War Is
You can find more from T’Rockers if you point here

Thanks!
ReplyDeleteyou're welcome Schmo
DeleteThanks for posting this. I'd never heard of them before, and I thoroughly enjoyed the record. The single isn't even one of the better songs as far as I'm concerned. Not that there's anything wrong with it - it's a perfectly fine song - but I think most of the songs on the album are even better. You're spot on about "Home Is Where The War Is" - it reminded me of "Twilight" in particular.
ReplyDeleteAnd more generally speaking, may I thank you for your awesome blog as a whole. I love how you continually manage to throw up C- and D-list acts (I mean that in terms of fame and recognition, not as a dunk on their musical quality) that are fairly obscure even to most fans of the genre, but who invariably prove to be valuable additions to one's collection. I have been following you for about 6 months and I have discovered so much great stuff in that time.
Well thank you very much for that Robbert. It's lovely to see/read comments like yours. May you continue to find new and interesting music in the weeks/months ahead.
Delete