Friday, 12 December 2025

Toyah - Toyah! Toyah! Toyah!

Featuring the diminutive Toyah Wilcox when she was more Siouxsie Sioux and not so much Kate Bush, Toyah! Toyah! Toyah! captures a 1980 concert in Wolverhampton, which was also filmed for a U.K. television documentary on the brittle singer/songwriter/actress/cult figure. She's an acquired taste with that kind of severe personality and delivery (and even more severe hair) that could only come from the U.K. and only in the '80s. If you're not familiar, don't start here. Start with some kind of hits collection that includes the later singles "It's a Mystery" and "I Want to Be Free" and leave this to the fans (including myself) who crave a document of her scrappy early years. With only two albums under her belt at the time of this recording, the new wave diva sounds urgent, hungry, and just as sharp as her haircut while her band rocks with that jagged, amphetamine beat, occasionally slowing down for the dramatic sci-fi numbers like "Insects." A year later she would release the fantastical and heavy album Anthem and began phase two of her career, so this is a kiss goodbye to the days of Derek Jarman and anti-establishment with some songs that wouldn't be on future set lists. Not that there's any other kind of Toyah fan, but this is strictly for the hardcore.

Ripped from the CD to severe personality MP3

Toyah, Toyah! Toyah! Toyah!

1.      Victims Of The Riddle
2.      Indecision
3.      Love Me
4.      Visions
5.      Tribal Look
6.      Bird In Flight
7.      Danced
8.      Insects
9.      Race Through Space
10.   Ieya

The diminutive one’s first two albums and many others are here

5 comments:

  1. Ah Toyah been a fan ever since that fateful night I saw you on USA's Night Flight. I was like who in the hell is this weird ass english chick with orange hair! Been hooked ever since. Robert Fripp your a lucky bastard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toyah and Bob's Insta and Facebook feeds are hilarious. I think they're trying to be semi-serious but that just makes it all the funnier...'tis a strange life but then if you watch the documentary on YouTube she comes across as very driven.

      Delete
  2. Long time Toyah fan here...have the majority of her stuff on vinyl still. For some reason, when I think of early Toyah I'm also reminded of Nina Hagen. While vastly different, still I think there's a bit of a kinship there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely I can see the early New Wave Nina Hagen, but not so much the crazy woman of later years. The only bits of vinyl from the early years I'm missing are the singles.

      Delete
    2. Agreed...I would compare the Toyah first phase with Nina's output up to NunSexMonkRock in a certain sort of temperament...

      Though vastly different musically, there is a thread in there that connects them.

      Delete