Wednesday, 25 February 2026

Lowlife - Permanent Sleep

Released in Scotland in 1986 by the independent music record label Nightshift Records, Permanent Sleep is Lowlife’s debut long player. Part of the sheer confidence audible throughout doubtless derives from the experience most of the group already had under its belt; singer Craig Lauritson, guitarist Stuart Everest, and drummer Grant McDowell had already been playing together in Dead Neighbours, while bassist Will Heggie had already gained fame as one of the original Cocteau Twins. Their working together proved to be lightning in a bottle, with Lauritson's dramatic but inviting croon and Everest's guitar heroics contrasting perfectly with the steady, powerful rhythm section. As strong as Rain is, Permanent Sleep might even be more so, with any number of songs rivalling the contemporaneous efforts on that landmark of '80s U.K. rock, the Chameleons' Strange Times. The dark, almost waltz-time swing of "Cowards Way," which leads off the album is the first of eight uniformly fine tracks. If a similarity in pace makes them all blend into each other a bit too much, the individual flair of Lauritson and Everest helps make each more distinct, from the gentler chime of "Wild Swan" to the more openly heroic "Permanent Sleep." A number of songs hint back to Heggie's Cocteau days in particular "Mother Tongue" but are transformed into a different atmosphere thanks to Lauritson's singing.


Eight tracks ripped from the album to permanent MP3 @ 320kbps

Lowlife; Permanent Sleep

A1.  Coward’s Way
A2.  As It Happens
A3.  Mother Tongue
A4.  Wild Swan
B1.  Permanent Sleep
B2.  A Year Past July
B3.  The Betting And Gaming Act 1964
B4.  Do We Party


13 comments:

  1. Good one AJ, @320 upgrades is what I am in search
    of with these guys. - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been able to get nearly all of their releases in 320. I’ll drip feed them in the new year

      Delete
    2. Sounds great AJ.
      - Timebender

      Delete
  2. No words enough to describe how much I love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re just an old goth Fabio

      Delete
    2. Fabio...dropped a download and suggestion for you in this thread's comments:

      https://tfgc1.blogspot.com/2019/11/la-verite.html?showComment=1576256610791#c4107045712754665648

      Delete
  3. Thanks Konrad, downloading your proposal, now I must to locate click click in my hard disks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pisser ain't it? I have a 5.4T raod 5 and still not enough real estate for all the music, movies, etc...stuff on portable drives, even thumb drives...

      Silly me, thinking 5.4 TB would be enough...lol!!

      Delete
    2. if anyone's needing some Click Click...

      Delete
    3. Great stuff Konrad!
      Luckily I love music, but I don"t give a #@£& for films so my disk space is ONLY 4 MZK!
      But I love some Heavy Metal too..

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Zipper I hope you've enjoyed your time here

      Delete