If you like Psychocandy, you'll like this. The band is in
the same general mode without the mild epic streak that came into play later on
Darklands. Yet the EP is still highly recommendable provided you're on board
with JAMC's style. I mean, being a bit of a re-tread of one of the best debut
LPs from the 80s isn't a bad thing at all. Where the debut was exciting in
portions and perhaps lazy in others, this brief release whittles down the
band's three essential elements: Some Candy Talking their loud modernized
tributes to 1950s pop; Psycho Candy not only reinforces their obsession with
sweet treats, but also through their low-key chiming melodies probably influenced
groups like Galaxie 500 and Real Estate; and finally, their fondness for
amp-destroying fuzz squall on Hit that allows JAMC to reveal their periodic
resentment of song writing. A sweet and pretty single that foreshadowed, at the
time, what was to come with Darklands. A must for any Jesus And Mary Chain fans
collection.
Ripped from the 2x7” single pack to amp-destroying MP3
The Jesus And Mary Chain; Some Candy Talking 2x7"
A. Some
Candy Talking
B1. Psychocandy
B2. Hit
C1 Cut
Dead (Acoustic)
C2 Psychocandy
(Acoustic)
D1 Taste
Of Cindy (Acoustic)
D2 Some
Candy Talking (Acoustic)

Thanx a lot!
ReplyDeleteThanks
DeleteThank you. I have the 1st 45, later Never Understand and You Trip Me Up 12'' but those were stolen.
ReplyDeleteAnd when I bought this 2x7'' I thought, are they going all acoustic and soft. Luckily HIT was on it.
"Hit" still kills even now.
DeleteAt some point in the not to distant future I'll be posting Upside Down and Never Understand as a weekend double feature on my other blog The Dimension Of Imagination