Thursday, 16 April 2026

Blondie - Plastic Letters

Less than a year after their quirky self-titled 1976 debut, Blondie returned with the stronger, punkier `Plastic Letters', complete with their pop trash culture influences solidly intact. Again produced by 60s pop composer Richard Gottehrer, the songs on this second album have more drive, more attitude and, with the general increase in song-writing sophistication of everyone involved, must have indicated that the band were likely to deliver even better things. With singer Deborah Harry credited far less in the song-writing on this effort, the prowess of the other band members becomes much more evident. Keyboardist Jimmy Destri's predilection for mod- infused new wave pop-rock was becoming increasingly clear with some absolute gems among his six contributions on the 13 tracks. `Fan Mail', `Contact in Red Square', `No Imagination', `Kidnapper' and the awesome rocker `Detroit 442' (with Chris Stein) all serve to anchor the harder, faster approach on this release. Stein's six are slightly less consistent, but `Youth Nabbed by Sniper' is a perfect companion piece to Destri's style while the awesome, giddy, acid-rock infused semi ballad, `Bermuda Triangle Blues', about a mysterious plane disappearance in said zone, is the album's super nova moment. Bassist Gary Valentine's `(I'm Always) Touched By Your Presence Dear' is also a high point. The rest are all ok, but prove again that Harry probably needed a co-writer. Destri's keyboards soar into their own on this record while Deborah Harry's trademark sneer and coquettish phrasing become fully formed, stamping her as far more than a pretty lead singer. There is something happening on `Plastic Letters' and, even not knowing back in 1977 what was to come, it must have pointed to a band that was not likely to fade away (and radiate) quickly.



Ripped from the 2001 expanded remaster to pop trash MP3

Blondie; Plastic Letters

1.      Fan Mail
2.      Denis
3.      Bermuda Triangle Blues (Flight 45)
4.      Youth Nabbed As Sniper
5.      Contact In Red Square
6.      (I’m Always Touched By Your) Presence Dear
7.      I’m On E
8.      I Didn’t Have The Nerve To Say No
9.      Love At The Pier
10.   No Imagination
11.   Kidnapper
12.   Detroit 442
13.   Cautious Lip
14.   Once I Had A Love (Aka The Disco Song)
15.   Scenery
16.   Poets Problem
17.   Detroit 442 (Live)

6 comments:

  1. This is the album I got into Blondie. Any chance for a reup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is also the album that got me into Blondie....Mmmm

      Delete
  2. Very nice. I gave my LPs to a collector. My CDs are in my apartment storage locker. Thanks a big bunch!

    ReplyDelete