Hailing from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Plasticland emerged at
a time when a new breed of East Coast and Midwest bands was reviving interest
in '60s garage rock, while in California a handful of group’s embraced
psychedelia and folk-rock under the banner of the paisley underground. But even
though Plasticland had a fair amount in common with both movements, at heart
they were following a very different path -- at their best, Plasticland aspired
to be the first American freakbeat group, seeking to re-create the brief but
memorable era when British and European bands were mashing up R&B,
proto-punk, and psychedelia into a gloriously volatile formula. Kicking off
their debut album with a fuzz-laden cover of the Pretty Things'
"Alexander," Plasticland were not afraid to wear their influences on
their sleeve, and this album manages the remarkable feat of sounding powerfully
addled and psychedelic with practically no hippie vibe to be found; the songs
are superb evocations of classic freakbeat, roaring forth with soaring melodies
that occasionally go into minor-key skydives and are punctuated by chimes, toy
pianos, autoharps, or whatever arcane music-producing devices were on hand at
the moment. "Disengaged from the World," "Sipping the
Bitterness," "Pop! Op Drops," and "Euphoric Trapdoor
Shoes" are as good as any of the vintage singles that influenced
Plasticland, and the band's production is savvy, making use of classic
engineering techniques that serve the songs well without allowing their paisley
nostalgia to drown out the melodic elements of the songs. Most bands as
preoccupied with a certain moment in rock & roll history tend to find
themselves hoisted by the petard of their own obsessions, but Plasticland is
that rare example of one such band getting it exactly right, and these speedy
acid fantasies are a very potent good time.
I thought I would through a curve ball at ya’all with
some freakbeat from America’s finest in MP3 @ 320kbps
Plasticland; Plasticland
1. Alexander
2. Disengaged
From The World
3. Her
Decay
4. The
Glove
5. Sipping
In The Bitterness
6. The
Garden In Pain
7. Elongations
8. Driving
Accident Prone
9. Colour
Appreciation
10. Wallflowers
11. Euphoric
Trapdoor Shoes
12. Pop!
Op Drops
13. Sections
14. Rattail
Comb
15. Posing
For Pictures
16. Magic
Rocking Horse
17. Mushroom
Hill

Great Band Great post!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kostas
DeleteYou have been sharing some great curveballs lately -- Plasticland, BPeople, and more!
ReplyDeleteTrying to keep the blog fresh jonder, otherwise it just becomes another chore. I have some re-ups coming during this month, eleven in total so far, including Poison Girls, Cindytalk, Virgin Prunes, JAMC and some Power Pop from Vapors and TV21...
DeleteA fine post! I enjoy reviewing your blog...again, as it seems like it's the first time. I removed my SSTM blog for a variety of reasons. Being from Milwaukee myself, actually I'm more of a suburb kid, I missed the time frame to see this band when they were big. Actually, I think they found more fame outside of the city of Milwaukee and the state of Wisconsin. Either way, thanks for this post and all the others I have selected as a d/l to my files! (Rob)
ReplyDeleteIf you haven't already, take a trip over to Pop On The Run and their post from July
Deletehttps://poprunners.blogspot.com/2019/07/neo-psych-from-early-80s-plasticland.html
You are missed Rob, Facebook doesn't cut it. Have a good one!
Much appreciated, thank you!
ReplyDelete