Thursday, 29 August 2019

Where The Light Shines Through


This is going to be a super limited one time only grab bag…don’t hesitate or you will miss this.

Time is up! The file has been deleted from the cloud. If you don't have Where The Light Shines Through you'll have to buy it from Cherry Red or see if anyone else in the land of the blog has decided to share it. 
In the comments below are a number of links to other SL&G releases shared by contributors to the community here at Themes From Great Cities. Please say a brief Thanks to these most excellent of people when sharing their links.  

Formed in 1980, Watford band Sad Lovers & Giants carved a unique furrow through the 1980s independent music scene, creating music which was haunting, atmospheric, melodic and evocative and which somehow straddled post-punk, synth pop, psychedelia and indie. Compiled, designed and curated by the band, WHERE THE LIGHT SHINES THROUGH is the first comprehensive anthology of the band’s recordings. After singles on their own Last Movement label, they signed to Midnight Music, issuing two albums – Epic Garden Music (1982) and Feeding The Flame (1983) – before splitting. This period also witnessed a John Peel session and a live concert for Dutch Radio Hilversum (subsequently issued as Total Sound in 1986). All of these recordings appear here.
Sad Lovers & Giants returned with a revitalised line-up in 1987 – still fronted by ever-present vocalist Garce (Simon) Allard. New albums followed – The Mirror Test (1987), Headland (1990) and Treehouse Poetry (1991) – as the band found new audiences in the Netherlands, Spain and France.
When Midnight Music dissolved, so too did the band. But Sad Lovers & Giants reunited in the noughties, playing to loyal fans and recording a new album, Melting In The Fullness Of Time. Since then, Sad Lovers & Giants have stayed active, culminating in a short tour of North America in spring 2016, during which they were invited to showcase at the prestigious SXSW festival in Austin, Texas.

WHERE THE LIGHT SHINES THROUGH spans the band’s entire career, with every recording of note, with sleeve-notes by Garce and cover design by ex-member Simon Blanchard.


The 5 CD Box Set is being reissued on 6th September 2019. Available to pre-order via the Cherry Red webpage.

Sad Lovers & Giants; Where The Light Shines Through

Disc One

Singles

1.      Imagination
2.      When I See You
3.      A Landslide
4.      Colourless Dream
5.      Things We Never Did
6.      Lost In A Moment
7.      The Tightrope Touch
8.      Man Of Straw (7” Version)
9.      Seven Kinds Of Sin
10.   White Russians
11.   The Best Film He Ever Made
12.   Himalaya
13.   Happiness Is Fragile
14.   Alice Isn’t Playing
15.   Beauty Is Truth
16.   Biblical Crows
17.   Like Thieves

Disc Two

The First Line-Up

1.      Echoplay
2.      Clocktower Lodge
3.      Clint
4.      Lope
5.      Cloud 9
6.      Art (By Me)
7.      Alice Isn’t Playing
8.      Far From The Sea
9.      Cowboys
10.   Big Tracks Little Tracks
11.   An Another Day
12.   Sleep (Is For Everyone)
13.   Vendetta
14.   Close To The Sea
15.   Strange Orchard
16.   Burning Beaches
17.   Your Skin & Mine
18.   In Flux

Disc Three

The Second Line-Up – Part I

1.      Take Seven
2.      Seven Kinds Of Sin
3.      The Green Years
4.      Cuckooland
5.      A Map Of My World
6.      Return To Clocktower Lodge
7.      Wire Lawn
8.      The Outsider
9.      Life Under Glass
10.   Summer & Smoke
11.   House Of Clouds
12.   Godless Soul
13.   Like Thieves
14.   One Man’s Hell
15.   Restless
16.   Alaska

Disc Four

The Second Line-Up – Part II

1.      It’s Snowing
2.      My Heart’s On Fire
3.      Toy Planes (In A Southern Sky)
4.      Lizard King
5.      Parachute Of Love
6.      Christmas On Easter Island
7.      Criminally Sane
8.      Jungle Of Lies
9.      The Sky Is A Glove
10.   A Daughter
11.   German Cars
12.   Submarine Girl
13.   I’m Not In Love
14.   Learn
15.   Melting In The Fullness Of Time
16.   Red Sky
17.   Black Crow

Disc Five

Pot Pourri

1.      50:50
2.      The Change
3.      Take Me Inside
4.      Interlude
5.      Echoplay
6.      A Landslide
7.      Sex Without Gravity (John Peel Session)
8.      There Was No Time (John Peel Session)
9.      Clint (John Peel Session)
10.   Alice Isn’t Playing (John Peel Session)
11.   3 Lines
12.   A Reflected Dream
13.   Still Restless
14.   Echoplay
15.   Things We Never Did
16.   Sleep (Is For Everyone)
17.   A Landslide
18.   Cowboys
19.   Man Of Straw
20.   Imagination
21.   Things We Never Did (2016 Remix)

 


30 comments:

  1. Damn, I need to clear some space for this whopper AJ.
    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um yeah, sorry (not sorry) about that.

      A wee heads up folks, this box set is only "up" until 5th September, after that the post will be deleted

      Delete
  2. Do you recommend the mega app download, curious.
    It has been suggested to me for larger files.
    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried it once before it was upgraded and it was a royal pain in the arse. I haven't used it since. I download through Firefox

      Delete
    2. That's what I use as well, I'll figure something out.
      Thanks for the quick response, I almost just installed.
      - Timebender

      Delete
    3. Tried a few browsers, seems to be working with opera for me.
      Strange...Firefox has never gave me issues before.
      Thanks for this beast of a post.@ 24 percent as I type.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I hope that this box set fulfils your quest for SL&G Fabio

      Delete
    2. Regarding the first "singles" CD I think audio was remastered (not in a bad manner!).

      Delete
    3. you're probably right Fabio, I think I saw somewhere that all five discs are remastered

      Delete
  4. Mission Creep (2018) is ginormous!
    Great re re return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Epic Garden Music (Midnight Music ‎– CHIME 00.01 CD) [FLAC]

    https://mega.nz/#!9oZBHD5T!nM373TrPuFtsvqDlEdvexEl214Kq0wTyc8Stfy0bvJM

    Feeding The Flame (Midnight Music ‎– CHIME 00.03 CD) [FLAC]

    https://mega.nz/#!o4gSTBZa!0W3jfsS47BJHGzTdH5LxO4SnNmlbiWDyg_euOC2YJ5I

    In The Breeze (Midnight Music ‎– CHIME 00.07 M) [FLAC]

    https://mega.nz/#!4swSTDBI!sEYTcwbX87cPQoh8NYo89iMUpPdCSlKZdVc7cnebNCg

    In The Breeze is from an excellent vinyl rip, nicely cleaned up. Sadly, I do not have a good rip of the Man Of Straw 12" in Flac...so if anyone does...?...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, one I forgot...

    Total Sound (Midnight Music ‎– CHIME 00.22 M) [FLAC]

    https://mega.nz/#!B9ISDaBa!zY-vArRYx03e6gRG1KyHLXs0JZpzVLhcTrC0GqYOzbs

    Also from a nicely cleaned rip of the vinyl original.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SLAG - 2018 - Mission Creep @320:

    https://mega.nz/#F!bEo03IDK!fGjsINzy8YTxNDIuE0v0xw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ordered the cd from their website a bit ago, so I'll wait for that Fabio...but thanks!!! :)

      Hell, I'll likely order the box set once it's reissued as well...dammit. :D

      Delete
  8. Thanks Konrad your rip of In The Breeze is ASTONISHING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could claim credit for it Fabio, but I got all these rips (SLAG & Snake Corps) from a gent out on the west coast, back in the wide and wooly days when the interwebz was aborning and were ordered on cdr from an emailed catalog. Don't recall how I found him... :)

      I also have 2 cdrs of rare and bootleg material that I need to track list (both SLAG and Snake material) from the same source...need to get that taken care of and out there...

      Delete
  9. 1990 - Headland + Clocks Go Backwards (EP)
    https://mega.nz/#!pPBxlIbA!ZGdUdfkdRE_u7NMFz2BdtLWXsMp847Li55Fty2TrR4c

    1991 - Treehouse Poetry
    https://mega.nz/#!sHInhKAL!EtP-Z1qmeI44osHh6n5CCVzAPGQF4m8LthumfC34Q0c

    2002 - Melting in the Fullness of Time
    https://mega.nz/#!sPJDkCDC!NvoJSglD51zMcy3P80RgaarTIkw9PwzVnNYJfnCJpLA

    All FLAC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should start posting yourself zeshooglinkseerstedeurrechts (if you don't mind I'll just shorten that to zeshoog) my friend

      Delete
  10. Various Artists - Nocturnal - The Best Of Midnight Music

    With a few artists that will feature here in the coming months, like The Essence, The Sun And The Moon, Fuel and of course Snake Corps

    https://mega.nz/#!qcwjgQxC!RBsz7Zu4MLN0qlj58tG8zkl2BuMtXmjv1KItpzB-rvs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard the band Western Dream before from this
      comp...might sit well in my upcoming Twee indie set.

      - Timebender

      Delete
  11. Great blog ! Can you please make an another link for the 5 CDs Box set in lossless (flac) ? Thanks. Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  12. any chance of reupload it again? link is not working. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could you upload again in the future? thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Podrían levantar de vuelta por favor...

    ReplyDelete
  15. To all those who have asked (and will still ask) if I can repost the 5 disc set SLAG in any form (FLAC or MP3) I'm sorry but I no longer have access to the original files...

    If anyone else out there has them, please reshare

    ReplyDelete