Thursday, 15 August 2019

Streets


A handy compilation perfectly encapsulating the spirit of punk; it really didn't matter if you had no more than one song in you (and barely that), the important thing was to have a go, heedless of such hopelessly misguided middle class notions as taste and sensitivity. This was a snapshot of Beggars Banquet before Gary Numan turned them into a major proposition. The only remotely household names here are The Lurkers, John Cooper Clarke and The Members, who managed one top 30 hit between them. Each of their tracks included here is hard to find and really good. Even the less engaging moments here are carried through by their sheer energy and determination. Classic punk themes abound, not least an internal discussion about music itself and the genre's hostility to virtuosity (The Nosebleeds' "Ain't Bin to No Music School" and Tractor's "No More Rock n' Roll"). Almost inevitably the track here that really carries the day is "Innocents" by John Cooper Clarke, one of few here who built himself some kind of career with this stuff. But the most interesting inclusion is 'Talk Talk Talk Talk' by The Reaction. This was Mark Hollis' first band before he formed Talk Talk, and this track is a rough n ready version of their signature tune.

A great 'lost' compilation with some brilliant, if obscure inclusions.




Ripped from the slightly worn vinyl to MP3 @ 320kbps

Various Artists; Streets

A1.  The Doll – Trash
A2.  The Members – Fear On The Streets
A3.  Lurkers – Be My Prisoner
A4.  Arther Commix – Isgodaman
A5.  The Art Attacks – Arabs In ‘Arrads
A6.  The Dogs – 19
A7.  The Reaction – Talk Talk Talk Talk
A8.  Cane – College Girls
B1.  Slaughter And The Dogs – Cranked Up Really High
B2.  The Nosebleeds – Ain’t Been To No Music School
B3.  The Drones – Lookalikes
B4.  The Zeros – Hungry
B5.  Pork Dukes – Bend And Flush
B6.  The Exile – Disastermovie
B7.  Drive – Jerkin’
B8.  John Cooper Clarke – Innocents
B9.  Tractor – No More Rock’n’Roll


 


13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Excellent! Good to see you around François

      Delete
    2. This does look like a good one, more lesser knowns
      and under rated featured...The Drones.

      - Timebender

      Delete
    3. The Drones are classic, I picked up their album in Köln a couple of years ago...I'll post it soon

      Delete
    4. Cool, I don't have that release.
      - Timebender

      Delete
    5. I thought that was the album title you mentioned.
      I have Further Temptations and a pair of singles
      by them, classic indeed.
      - Timebender

      Delete
    6. Just watched this...never seen it before.

      The Drones - Lookalikes 77'
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8mTNKPz6p0

      - Timebender

      Delete
    7. Just a little something I put together for myself and thought I
      would pass a copy on to you...seeing The Drones have such a limited
      amount of material available. Hopefully Cherry Red or some label put
      together a complete Drones one day, until then, here's a few extra tracks.
      The quality is what it is, not too shabby though. Let me know you received.

      https://www36.zippyshare.com/v/iJ2mlje2/file.html

      - Timebender

      Delete
    8. Thanks Timebender. I can’t d/load at the moment (I’m in Edinburgh enjoying the Festival). I’ll be home next week

      Delete
    9. Downloading as I type, many thanks

      Delete
    10. How was the festival?

      - Tiimebender

      Delete
  2. I hate this set expression but no fillers ...

    ReplyDelete