Chairs Missing marks a partial retreat from Pink Flag's
austere, bare-bones minimalism, although it still takes concentrated listening
to dig out some of the melodies. Producer Mike Thorne's synth adds a Brian
Eno-esque layer of atmospherics, and Wire itself seems more concerned with the
sonic textures it can coax from its instruments; the tempos are slower, the
arrangements employ more detail and sound effects, and the band allows itself
to stretch out on a few songs. The results are a bit variable -- "Mercy,"
in particular, meanders for too long -- but compelling much more often than
not. The album's clear high point is the statement of purpose "I Am the
Fly," which employs an emphasis-shifting melody and guitar sounds that
actually evoke the sound of the title insect. But that's not all by any means
-- "Outdoor Miner" and "Used To" have a gentle lilt, while
"Sand in My Joints" is a brief anthem worthy of Pink Flag, and the
four-minute "Practice Makes Perfect" is the best result of the
album's incorporation of odd electronic flavours. In general, the lyrics are
darker than those on Pink Flag, even morbid at times; images of cold, drowning,
pain, and suicide haunt the record, and the title itself is a reference to
mental instability. The arty darkness of Chairs Missing, combined with the
often icy-sounding synth/guitar arrangements, helps make the record a crucial
landmark in the evolution of punk into post-punk and Goth, as well as a
testament to Wire's rapid development and inventiveness.
Ripped to MP3
Wire; Chairs Missing
1. Practice
Makes Perfect
2. French
Film Blurred
3. Another
The Letter
4. Men
2nd
5. Marooned
6. Sand
In My Joints
7. Being
Stuck In Again
8. Heartbeat
9. Mercy
10. Outdoor
Miner
11. I
Am The Fly
12. I
Feel Mysterious Today
13. From
The Nursery
14. Used
To
15. Too
Late

Just in case any of these are wanted AJ...
ReplyDeletea list of Wire I can make some FLACS of.
Pink Flag EMI Remaster
154 [EMI Bonus Tracks]
1977 - 1979 _ On Returning [comp]
1977 - 1979 _ Behind the Curtain [comp]
1978 - 1979 _ The Peel Sessions
1979 - On the Box [Live]
I have pretty much all by Wire collected,
those listed above are some of the physical CD's I own.
You probably already have most as well but maybe wanted
some upgrades?
- Timebender
I'm going to accept your generous offer and ask for the two compilations and the Peel Sessions please.
DeleteThanks
awesome record ,after "pink flag " Wire managed to make an even better record
ReplyDeleteThey did manage an outstanding opening salvo of three stunning albums for Harvest.
Delete@Timebender: being that musical hoarder that I am...
ReplyDeleteA rip of Peel sessions will be gratefully received, beggars can't be choosers but if you can rip as IMG + CUE (or tracks with gaps appended to previous track + CUE) EVEN BETTER! TIA.
Fabio, I will prepare a copy for you with the above
Deletetechnique/instruction when I become more familiar.
I have a bit on the go at the moment.
- Timebender
Thanks Timebender, not so important (but still needed).
Delete@Timebender:
Deletehttps://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3583832.
I'll try and have your comps & sessions ready for
ReplyDeletesometime later tomorrow.
- Timebender
Behind the Curtain...Early Versions 1977 &78' Flac
Deletehttps://www31.zippyshare.com/v/JCSw4dAs/file.html
On Returning (1977-1979) Flac
https://www110.zippyshare.com/v/UpBcETuI/file.html
The Peel Sessions 96' Reissue Flac
https://www107.zippyshare.com/v/Cgh3VCjM/file.html
The links may be active for at least a week.
Your picks may be my post on Friday @TwilightZone.
Undecided at the moment...two birds one stone?
- Timebender
Sounds like a good cause to ring the bell for The Ruts. Thanks for the FLAC's. I have found an old folder with a few old Ruts demos and bootlegs mixed in. All the files are in low bitrate at the moment (but I know a man who's down the pub with his dog who can sort them) that I was going to drip feed into the blogosphere. You're welcome to drop them on TZ if you're interested
DeleteSounds great AJ, speaking of the Ruts I just picked up
Deleteeven more bonus tracks from you courtesy of your expanded
sets..radio sessions & 7''versions. You're very welcome
for the Wire, I like to give back a little whenever possible.
- Timebender
Off the top of my head a few other FLAC rips I can do at a later date
Deletethat may go well on your blog if (you) would like to post them here are...
THE FALL - Complete Peel Sessions [Boxset]
JOY DIVISION - Heart and Soul [Boxset]
THE CURE - Join the Dots [Boxset]
THE MISFITS - Collection I&II [Compilations]
...if you don't already have physical copies.
- Timebender
The only physical box set I have is Joy Division so the other three would be most welcome and if you feel the urge to share them here they would be very welcome.
DeleteI have shared most of these in the past @320
Deleteover a Twilightzone, just thought you may be
interested in featuring some superior upgrades
to go with all your other cool things here.
- Timebender
Just a suggestion...I can give you a heads up when the rips
ReplyDeleteare ready and whip up some links that I will delete when
I know you received the files & you do what you want them.
Use your great writing ability and feature them here if you wish.
No rush though, I am a little busy for the next couple weeks
or so anyways working on my compilations.Early September maybe?
Sound good...
- Timebender
Sounds like a plan kind sir
DeleteI will send you a longer list of goodies I have and
Deletemaybe you can just prioritize them for me. Once a week
or so I can drop off the goods. I just set up a mega
upload account for larger files if that's of some help.
- Timebender