Saturday, 21 February 2026

Cocteau Twins - Sunburst And Snowblind 12''

Released shortly after the majestic Head Over Heels album, Sunburst remakes one of that album's songs, the gorgeous rush of "Sugar Hiccup." The mock choir effect which Guthrie would employ even more fully on later songs becomes even more prominent, his own performance more striking and beautiful. Fraser's vocals change little, being just as fantastic as on the earlier cut, though she does add a touch more extra singing at points. The rest of the songs are of equal quality, each distinct in their own way. "From the Flagstones" begins with a lovely flanged guitar, a prominent drum pattern carrying the song as a whole. Fraser's singing throughout is wonderful, practically turning cartwheels at points. "Hitherto" moves at a slightly faster pace, Fraser's singing building upward on her line of the verse to a shimmering guitar line; Guthrie's main countermelody is also grand, a few simple descending notes that sound just perfect. "Because of Whirl-Jack" wraps everything up with the fastest song of the bunch, reminiscent of the pace of earlier songs like "Feathers-Oar-Blades" and "In Our Angelhood," but with a lighter air thanks to prominent acoustic guitar and piano.


Ripped from the original 12” single to Drum-machine Heaven MP3

Cocteau Twins; Sunburst And Snowblind

A1.  Sugar Hiccup
A2.  From The Flagstones
B1.  Hitherto
B2.  Because Of Whirl-Jack


12 comments:

  1. I have a pretty good collection of Cocteau Twins CD & Vinyl
    if you need any FLAC ripped. The BBC sessions two disc set
    is a nice one. Let me know if you're looking for anything.
    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer Timebender, but the Cocteaus are one of the few 4AD bands I have almost everything by. Two tho that I would like to have actual rips of are, Peppermint Pig 12" and The Spangle Maker 12".

      Delete
    2. I figured you probably had most already, my collection
      only lacks in the 12" department as well. I will keep
      an eye out for Peppermint Pig and The Spangle Maker 12"
      seeing as I could use actual rips as well.
      - Timebender

      Delete
    3. Found a copy of Peppermint Pig 12", not FLAC though.
      I like the 12" longer version on this.

      1983 - Peppermint Pig EP

      https://www33.zippyshare.com/v/rl8mhgJK/file.html

      - Timebender

      Delete
    4. Here is a CD version of The Spangle Maker if interested.

      1984 -The Spangle Maker EP @320

      https://www9.zippyshare.com/v/kN0CUgyB/file.html

      - Timebender

      Delete
    5. Thanks for your generous offers Timebender, but yeah...I've got them both @ 320, which means they may have been originally posted on ESWA blog in the past. If you want to fill your boots with top drawer FLAC rips have a look around this place https://timeneedle.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Wait until you hear Head Over Heals...

      Delete
    2. Really good.. Not listened in years for prejudice!

      Delete
  3. Here an album from 2018 "Embracing The Fall" by iamtheshadow (very Good post-punk).

    https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5591789

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. looks interesting Fabio...downloading as I type

      Delete
  4. I looked at that timeneedle site. It's nicely done. The writer seems polite and well-mannered.

    >Please DO NOT attempt to share these elsewhere on the internet, or pass them off as your own work.

    ReplyDelete