In 1980 it was hard to know what the actual difference
between Japan and Roxy Music was. Musically perhaps Mick Karn's fluttering
wobbly bass lines added a dose of originality to Japan's music. Looks-wise
Sylvian's bouffant was surely way more appealing to the touch than Ferry's
lounge lizard quiff. Otherwise there's not a lot to separate them. Both paved
the way for the exact sound that Duran Duran who, with a more rambunctious
vocalist and more streamlined pretty boy looks, would take to the masses. Nick
Rhodes must thank his lucky stars each day he heard this sound and saw this
hair.
So by this point Japan was making elegant sleek pop that
was already a mile away from their origins as a kind of glammed up English New
York Dolls. The title track is a lovely example of what they were doing which
is to take the sound of Roxy Music's stellar 'Same Old Scene' single and run
with it. Like the following years 'Tin Drum', 'Gentleman Take Polaroids' is a
mixed affair between unhurried clever funk pop and instrumental interludes that
hark back to the records Brian Eno was making in the 70s.
Strangely, I'm perhaps thinking that Gentleman Take
Polaroids has more to offer than Tin Drum. They are still being clever clogs
but they haven't lost the sense of fun that led them to collaborate with
Giorgio Moroder. They seem somehow less wankerish. Though I can't explain why
they dipped into the Smokey Robinson song book so soon after their relatively
successful 'I Second That Emotion'. 'Ain't That Peculiar' is just downright
weird. A terrible mismatch. Like 'Tin Drum' there are moments that point
forward to Sylvian's solo career. 'Here it's 'Nightporter' a beautiful piano
led ballad that is way way above the standard of the rest of the LP.
Japan got better as they started playing fewer
instruments and became less cluttery. Their career is like watching a band try
to figure things out and by the time they got to where they want to be they'd
split up. 'Gentleman Take Polaroids' is a fascinating part of that journey and
contains some truly brilliant moments.
Ripped from the Abbey Road Studios, Double 12” 45rpm Album,
Half Speed Mastering Edition, to MP3. The lush, smooth sound of
Mick Karn’s fretless bass has to be heard to be believed…Fucking Stunning!
Japan; Gentlemen Take Polaroids
A1. Gentlemen
Take Polariods
A2. Swing
B1. Burning
Bridges
B2. My
New Career
C1 Methods
Of Dance
C2 Ain’t
That Peculiar
D1 Nightporter
D2 Taking
Islands In Africa

many thanks, nice to see you back.
ReplyDeleteRobert
It’s kinda nice to be back, thanks 🙏
DeleteOne of the reasons I've missed your blog is because you write things like this: "Their career is like watching a band try to figure things out and by the time they got to where they want to be they'd split up." So true. I am so happy to see new posts from you!
ReplyDeleteKind words as ever jonder. Thanks 🙏
DeleteGood to see you back. Japan will always have a special place in my heart, thinking back to time when they were pretty much unknown, and I bought Quiet Life when it came out
ReplyDeleteThanks dc. I have very fond memories of my time around 'Polaroids and I'm always transported back to 1980 when I hear Quiet Life/Life In Tokyo
Deletea real pleasure to see you back thanks fror thr musicfrom argentina
ReplyDeleteGlad to be back Anon
Deletemy favourite Japan album, timeless
ReplyDelete