Friday, 20 September 2024

Coil - Panic / Tainted Love 12"

This is a probably bit out there, but I was reminded of this single and especially this version of Tainted Love at an 80’s themed birthday party last night. The song “Tainted Love” was originally written by Ed Cobb and recorded by Gloria Jones in 1965 (thanks Wikipedia). It became famous again with the 1981 synth-pop version by Soft Cell. Bet you can guess which version the DJ was playing…

Back then in 1985 though, Coil covered it. Slowed it right the fuck down. Then released it as a benefit for an AIDS Charity. The slow version brought out a new meaning in the lyrics:

    Once I ran to you, now I run from you
    This tainted love you’ve given
    I give you all a boy could give you
    Take my heart and that’s not nearly all

It captured something of the despair and panic of those early AIDS days in the gay and alternative world, where something terrifying was happening. Thirty plus years later and the emotion still comes through.


Originally ripped from the Wax Trax! Records 12” single to mortifying MP3 @ 320kbps

Coil; Panic/Tainted Love 12”

A1.  Aqua Regis
A2.  Panic
B. Tainted Love



6 comments:

  1. today I knew I was no longer a public employee, in a sale of a branch of the company I sold off to a cooperative.
    as if taking care of grandparents in hospice were any job ... public competitions won, years of commitment ... And now everything from scratch ... world of shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds shit Fabio. Will you still be working?

      Delete
  2. Yes... But at their conditions!
    The work is going back at the stone age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds about normal for here as well. Gives you a chance to make changes for the better though. Could be a silver lining there.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Up yer pie-hole djoombatt...I'm just back from T'burgh (if you know, you know) and I'm suitably refreshed

      Delete