The Batfish Boys’ debut album, The Gods Hate Kansas, was
less Denbigh’s dark night of the soul than it was a cider and speed-fuelled
descent into comic-book madness. Occupying the rarely visited place where
Creedence-meets-the-Sisters, …Kansas was populated with bizarre characters that
could have come from the fevered snake-bitten imagination of Carson McCullers. Imagine
Captain Beefheart at the wheel of Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, careering through the
Louisiana swampland loaded on cheap whiz and moonshine, and you’re halfway
there.
Ripped by someone, a long time ago, from the vinyl album
(as there’s no sign of this ever being properly digitised) to MP3 @ 320kbps
“The first Batfish Boys album I can’t even remember
making it,” says Denbigh. “I wrote it and recorded it in a week and then the,
um, stimulants ran out and we spent two days mic-ing up a snare drum in a
toilet going DOOSH DOOSH! ‘What do you think?’ ‘I don’t know.’ ‘Is there any
more…’ ‘No.’ DOOSH DOOSH!
“And now I listen back and I think: ‘This is fucking
brilliant. If I was going to make an album, it’d be just like this. Oh, hang on
– I did.’ But it was like a stream of consciousness thing.”
“I got the name from a book in a bargain-bin on the way
to the studio. The USS Batfish was an American submarine that just lurked
around for most of the war, getting bombed and strafed most of the time by its
own forces, and then sank two or three Japanese submarines in a day. And that
was all it did, the entire war.”
By Scott Rowley March 27, 2014
The Batfish Boys; The Gods Hate Kansas
A1. Real
Rough Dude
A2. The
Tumbleweed Thing
A3. Killer
Sub
A4. Mrs
Triffid
A5. Swamp
Liquor
B1. Chronopolis
B2. Lootenant
Lush
B3. The
Birth Of Rock And Roll
B4. Garth
Rides Out
B5. Hot
Guns

this is a good record and the write up very illuminating. i sold my copy years ago and have the same mp3 source, probably, as you have here. there was an EP after this called crocodile tears, i think, which was also good. after that - not so much
ReplyDeleteI’ve managed to find most of the Batfish Boys recently and they get progressively worse. Swamp Liquor and Crocodile Tears I’ll be posting soon enough...stay tuned
Delete