Ok, I always really enjoyed this infamous 12” single since
the early 80’s. Of course, any fan of the "true" SPK hates the
commercial transformation that occurred in 1983/4 starting with “Metal Dance”
12". Still I have to say, the two tracks on this single are great! The
combination of metal percussion and typical synthpop sounds works really well
here and it's not at all as Depeche Mode as “Machine Age Voodoo" would
eventually become. If “Machine Age Voodoo” had sounded anything like this
"Metal Dance" 12", it would have been a truly revolutionary,
legendary crossover album between industrial and more synthpop sensibilities, long
before Cabaret Voltaire, to name but one band who lost their way.
Unfortunately, it didn't happen, and even the album version of "Metal
Dance" has nothing to do with the superb A Side of this single. Unbiased
listeners of 80's electronics, don't let SPK's hardcore fans fool you, this designed
to be played loud single is a forgotten classic.
Allegedly the Desire Records 7” single version of “Metal
Dance” is the superior version. I haven’t heard it, but if someone has one to
share…
Ripped from a 12” single on Desire Records released in
1983 by A N Other blog to earsplittingly loud 24bit FLAC
A. Metal
Dance (12” Version)
B. Will
To Power

Hi there. Not sure where I got it, but I have an mp3 of what is supposedly the 7” version. By what fashion can I send it to you?
ReplyDeleteAgreed, quality tune, one of my favourites
ReplyDeleteCan't disagree with you there!
Deletelove this song and group, and the cover matches the music! Hopefully, I can catch up on all your great uploads over the Holidays. I never dl anything from your blog unless I read your witty comments first! Keep up the great work!
ReplyDeletep.s.: do you by any chance have The Cure's Peel Session EP (https://www.discogs.com/The-Cure-The-Peel-Sessions/master/22551) as an IMAGE FILE (Mp3 or FLAC). Don't laugh, but the songs fade into each other and I would love to rip them that way instead of separate tracks.
Martin, I don't have the actual EP on it's own. I have the first five Cure sessions for Peel in one folder in MP3 which I can up-load in the new year
DeleteI know Metal Dance from the Machine Age Voodoo album so I look forward to comparing the two versions. Many thanks.
ReplyDeleteBrian