Thursday, 12 March 2026

She Wants Revenge - She Wants Revenge

Los Angeles Joy Division-obsessed duo She Wants Revenge blend electronic beats with Goth pop misery on their self-titled Geffen debut. DJs Justin Warfield and Adam "Adam 12" Bravin may have crafted the post-punk equivalent of XTC alter-egos Dukes of Stratosphear's psychedelic rock tribute Chips from the Chocolate Fireball, but there is suspicion as to whether or not it was intentional. Like fellow re-animators Interpol, the Bravery, or even the mysterious Lansing-Dreiden, She Wants Revenge love early Depeche Mode, Bauhaus, and pre-Land of Rape and Honey Ministry, but what makes their impeccably crafted, highly listenable/danceable collection of angst so dubious is its utter duplicity. There's nothing wrong with honouring your influences by copping a few moves and singing in a fake British accent like Green Day with the intentions of updating a genre that many potential listeners are too young to have experienced first-hand, but it's another thing to do it without even the slightest deviation.
I first heard of She Wants Revenge on iTunes as a free download. I didn’t think much of them until I saw their video for Tear You Apart. The lyrics transform a high school relationship into a dark and spiralling horror story. Complete with ambient noises, distorted bass synthesizers and catchy choruses Tear You Apart became one of the great singles of 2006. Not to mention one of the best videos, featuring the most evil school dance ever, strange men called “The Reds” and a directorial spot by Joaquin Phoenix. I mean, what’s not to like?


I never found a CD of this, So ripped to MP3

She Wants Revenge; She Wants Revenge

1.      Red Flags And Long Nights
2.      These Things
3.      I Don’t Wanna Fall In Love
4.      Out Of Control
5.      Monologue
6.      Broken Promises For Broken Hearts
7.      Sister
8.      Disconnect
9.      Us
10.   Someone Must Get Hurt
11.   Tear You Apart
12.   She Loves Me She Loves Me Not
13.   Wasted Air
14.   Killing Time

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, terrific stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrific indeed. Thanks for your comment

      Delete
  2. http://www.mediafire.com/file/9b6w67z71v46t9e/Bongley_Dead_-_Undici_%282017%29.rar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything in the write-up is true, but I actually like this record more than any single record by the bands She Wants Revenge aped. It's just shy of a desert island disc for me. Highly recommended. It seems simplistic at first, so I suggest you put it on in the background and let it seep in. - Stinky

    ReplyDelete