When you’ve waited nearly five years for something this
good to pop back up on the interweb, I feel that it is our duty to share. This
is the Analog Loyalist 2012 Remaster of Warsaw, in his own words;
I slightly divert from this blog's stated mission and
bring to you my remastering attempt of Joy Division's legendary 1978 RCA album
sessions bootleg Warsaw, from the original 1989 CD release on RZM. It's critical to disregard any other known CD
release of this bootleg, because the most common version, 1994's Movie Play
Gold CD issue of this, is flat-out terrible.
Too bassy (FAR too bassy), low-quality source material, the works. I suspect the best bootleg version of this
session is the original 1981 LP issue (also on RZM), but I don't have a line on
a decent transfer of it.
Legend has it that RZM is code for (Alan) Erasmus, an
original Factory partner who, with Tony Wilson and Peter Saville, started
Factory Records in 1978. The legend
states that Erasmus (say it aloud, and then say R-Z-M) arranged the 1981
bootleg release of the aborted 1978 album, and then further arranged for the
material's first appearance on CD in 1989.
Frankly, I believe it.
None of the CD releases of this set have been spectacular
in sound quality. I think the problem is
that the original tape was not that great, and that the mastering-for-CD
process - possibly to disguise vinyl lineage, as I suspect that the original LP
was the ultimate source for all the various CD issues - really clamped down on
the upper midrange and higher frequencies.
It's always sounded muffled, and boomy (the 1994 Movie Play Gold
release, with the baby on the cover, is the worst in this regard). I've fixed this. I've also fixed up some of the harsher song
starts, as it's easy in the digital domain (ain't no ProToolin' in 1978!) and
the CD has a few of the intros cut off.
Why did I fix them? Because the
missed intro into "Transmission" has always bugged me, among
others. "Interzone" too.
I think this is the best we're going to get with this
material. Already it blows the few
tracks released on 1997's Heart and Soul box set away, and unless someone leaks
the original mixdown tape from the 1978 session, we won't find better. That said, I do have a line on a dub of a
band member's personal cassette copy of this session, but I don't have it handy
and what I remember from listening to it when I did was that it wasn't really
all that much different or better than the '89 CD release.
Joy Division
"Warsaw"
(Unreleased May 1978 album sessions)
RZM CD 01 (1989 pressing)
November 2012 Analog Loyalist mastering in FLAC
1. The
Drawback
2. Leaders
of Men
3. They
Walked In Line
4. Failures
(of the Modern Man)
5. Novelty
6. No
Love Lost
7. Transmission
8. (Living
In The) Ice Age
9. Interzone
10. Warsaw
11. Shadowplay

thank you
ReplyDeleteyou're welcome
Deletethanks so much!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome Turk
DeleteI have an older version of the Warsaw album that I think I've listened to maybe two or three times over the years. Your description in the first post - " infinitely more “interesting” than it is “good” - certainly describes my reaction very well.
ReplyDeleteThe description here makes me feel like taking another chance on it all... big thanks for giving me the chance as well as making me feel lie taking it.
Amazing what good writing about music can do, eh?
respect,
d
there are always chances in life when we take a risk. I felt that this mix of an almost legendary album was worth taking a chance of downloading, and if only half of the people who visited this page have done the same, it was well worth the risk. All kudos must go to the original man in a darkened room who took the time to remaster and share with the world. thanks Analog Loyalist
DeleteVery enjoyable - thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome Bernd
Delete