At the height of their popularity, Bram Tchaikovsky left
The Motors to form his own band. Feeling unable to express himself in a band
dominated by Nick Garvey and Andy McMaster, Tchaikovsky decided to strike out
on his own. What appeared to be a foolhardy move resulted in one of the finest
power pop/pub rock albums ever released. Comparable to Dr Feelgood or Steve
Gibbons at their best, Strange Man, Changed Man
was a revelation. Produced by his former Motors bandmate Nick Garvey on a
shoestring budget, the resulting thin sound only serves to enhance the songs
which owe as much to '60s pop as they do to pub/punk rock. The pure pop of
"Girl of My Dreams" (a minor hit in the U.S.) perfectly encapsulates
late-'70s Brit-pop and stands as one of the classic singles of the era.
Ripped from the 2007 reissue to MP3 @ 320kbps
Bram Tchaikovsky; Strange Man, Changed Man
1. Strange
Man, Changed Man
2. Lonely
Dancer
3. Robber
4. Bloodline
5. I’m
The One That’s Leaving
6. Girl
Of My Dreams
7. Nobody
Knows
8. Lady
From The USA
9. I’m
A Believer
10. Sarah
Smiles
11. Turn
On The Light

LOVE this album. "Girl of My Dreams" was one of my favorite songs from this era -- I was in my first year of junior high, and it was one of the first albums I bought with funds saved up from my after-school job. It was rarely ever off my turntable for that entire school year, and to me, it still sounds just as great today as it did back then!
ReplyDeleteClassics never fade angstytimelord, they just patiently wait for us to play them again and relive their moments (usually accompanied by the hairs on your arms and neck standing up)
Deletebrilliant album, a must listen, you can still hear the Motors in the overall sound, that's not a bad thing in my opinion
ReplyDeleteand yes, GoMD is probably one of the best tunes of time, like angrytimelord I played it constantly for months, but then I was full of teenage angst and hopelessly in love with the girl of my dreams, never knew what happened to her after we split :-/
I was about to post the Motors album MikeO but Ratboy69 posted it first...I've linked it here
Deletehttp://ratb0y69.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/the-motors-motors-1.html
This is one of my all-time favorite LP's, just as wonderful now as when I bought it new. I don't understand the "thin sound" description of Mick Garvey's production. The layers of guitars and vocal harmonies sound full to me, and I always loved the big bass tone. Maybe it was done on the cheap, but they got Mike Oldfield to add his tubular bells at the end of "Girl Of My Dreams". It all sounds perfect to my ears -- well done Mr. Garvey!
ReplyDeleteInterpretation is an individual thing in my experience...but then jonder, we listen to some right rubbish in the persuite of classic albums that we hadn't heard before...
Delete