Quality you just can't ignore, with an image you equally just can't ignore...
You can't put an exploding car or a television that's
been smashed to bits inside a record sleeve, which sums up the problem the
Plasmatics had in capturing their appeal on vinyl -- so much of the band's
initial reputation was based on their frantic and destructive live show, and
divorced from the images, their first album, New Hope for the Wretched, simply
had to get by on the band's music, which was a bit of a stretch. As musicians,
the Plasmatics were tight and not without imagination; their attack suggests
guys who had been playing metal or hard rock who figured this punk rock stuff
was going to be the next big thing, but rather than disguise their roots,
guitarists Richie Stotts and Wes Beech were more than willing to let their doom
struck metal influences shine through on the instrumental breaks to tunes like
"Monkey Suit" and "Concrete Shoes," and parts of New Hope
suggest thrash metal arriving a few years early. However, as songwriters
Stotts, Beech, and Rod Swenson (the band's manager and idea guy) didn't have
all that much to say and not an especially compelling way of saying it.
Stylistically, New Hope for the Wretched keeps going around in circles until it
finally wears a groove into the floor, and the album's real weak spot is lead
singer Wendy O. Williams, who hadn't been singing very long and delivers most
of these tunes in a guttural bleat that suggests Stiv Bators with a mouthful of
Novocain; she may well have known what to do on-stage, but in the studio her
weaknesses were obvious and unavoidable. And while the album's great musical
experiment -- the middle section of "Dream Lover," during which the
musicians could neither see nor hear one another -- may have been an
interesting idea, the results suggest a roomful of college freshmen making their
first stab at forming a noise band. A bit like Kiss' first three albums, New
Hope for the Wretched is the work of a band struggling to make the excitement
of their stage show work in the studio and falling short of the mark, though
there are a few moments where the Plasmatics manage to get over on sheer
sneering energy, one quality the microphones were able to capture.
ICHI NI SAN SHI
The Plasmatics received a lot of mainstream press
compared to most punk bands of their era due largely to their over the top
stage show and the provocative attire of lead singer Wendy O. Williams. Wendy
often performed topless with only a piece of electrical tape covering her
nipples. She had a really butch, gruff voice but as feminine of a body as it
comes and the band’s shows were something of legend. A Plasmatics show was
visual overload where Wendy would take a chainsaw to anything in reach and cut
it up (often guitars) and she’d even blow things up as well. All of this was
happening while they were playing their fast-paced punk rock. They took punk
rock and mixed it with performance art and there wasn’t really anyone else
doing anything like it at the time.
My first exposure to the band came thanks to their
ability to get some mainstream press. I read an article about the band and was
enamoured with the photos of the band which depicted Wendy destroying things on
stage. It was mesmerizing to say the least and I wouldn’t even hear their music
for another year or so. When I finally did hear their first album, New Hope For the Wretched, I was
pretty blown away by it as punk rock was very new to me at that time and very
exciting. Their music was fast and powerful and their songs were mostly on the
shorter side of the spectrum and this charismatic lead singer of theirs had such
a gruff voice that was delivered in grunts that she almost sounded like a guy.
That album has been in regular rotation for me for decades now and it is weird
that they don’t get talked about by many people these days in comparison
to the other bands of that era. In the modern-day they are overlooked and I’ve
yet to see this album come up in any of those “best punk album” listicles you
see all over the internet that are written by people who weren’t even born when
records like this were released but somehow feel qualified to make a list
and try to pass it off as gospel. In a list of best punk albums, the first
Plasmatics album would certainly make the cut. I think it has held up well and
is pretty timeless. It also beats the hell out of any modern mainstream or even
punk music.
A new rip from the Expanded 2002 CD to guitar sawing MP3
@ 320kbps and the two early singles from the comments further down in one pack of MP3 goodness.
Plasmatics - Meet The Plasmatics 12''EP
A1 - Sometimes I
A2 - Won't You
B - Want You Baby
Plasmatics - Butcher Baby 7''EP
A - Butcher Baby
B1 - Fast Food Service
B2 - Concrete Shoes
Plasmatics: New Hope For The Wretched
1. Tight
Black Pants
2. Monkey
Suit
3. Living
Dead
4. Test
Tube Babies
5. Won’t
You
6. Concrete
Shoes
7. Squirm
(Live)
8. Want
You Baby
9. Dream
Lover
10. Sometimes
I
11. Corruption
12. Butcher
Baby
13. Sometimes
I (Live)
14. Living
Dead (Live)
15. Tight
Black Pants (Live)
16. Butcher
Baby (Live)
17. Corruption
(Live)
18. You
Think You’re Comin’
19. Fast
Food Service

I have been discovering more lost items of late, thanks
ReplyDeletefor the replacement again. Gotta love that front cover.
- Timebender
It seems to be the way with many travellers to this page. I’m picking up the old favourites and some of my personal favourites and rebooting them. Judging from the amount of traffic within the blog it’s looking like people are staying longer or coming back more frequently
DeleteThe dreamiest dreamgirl ever. Love you Wendy.
ReplyDeleteThank you, really. The live tracks are new to me, and gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteI snubbed PLASMATICS in their only Italian show, Milan 1980, and I'm still banging my head on the wall (a thing the late and missed WOW would appreciate... what a woman, for good and for bad!)
Thanks Luca 🙏
DeleteA 320 collection of their singles up to 1980 would be REALLY appreciated... 😉
ReplyDeleteGreetings from Italy ☺
If you had asked me last year Luca I would have been able to help with two of the Plasmatics early singles. Sadly they are lost
DeleteWould you settle for two outta three of the Vice Squad Records Plasmatics singles? Yeah I thought so.
DeleteMeet The Plasmatics 12" (1979)
Butcher Baby 7" (1978)
https://mega.nz/file/7FYhAKAY#P2ajrAN6CtiudLb56eiOw3fKiw-t32NTIvcslWseEx0
I can understand you. I've lost 50 gigas of selected albums and movies...
ReplyDeleteHaven't explored all of your blog yet, but IMHO a overlooked record worth of a post is UK SUBS Diminished Responsibility (1981).
Punk-Hard Rock! Saw them in London 1982, their best moment, between that album and Endangered Species (another good lp). A great gig, and quite a story to be told, inside and outside, before and after...
Fair point regarding UK Subs Luca, I'll see what I can do
DeleteWould love to see a re-up of this iconic release.
ReplyDeleteAs if by fucking magic...you musta read my mind about 5 weeks ago when I programmed this to re-up!
Delete