Ministry’s début US album With Sympathy was released as Work For Love through Arista-BMG
in Europe (with different track listing and cover above). There is a video available for
"Revenge," which was one of three singles pulled from the album, the
others being "Work for Love" and "I Wanted to Tell Her."
Al Jourgensen has
maintained that he was pressured by Arista management into producing the album
in the then-popular "synthpop" style, which is in contrast to the
harder industrial sounds he developed afterwards. However, there are reports of
Jourgensen saying in the 1980s that when he discovered hardcore music, his
musical direction changed. Additionally, video of local concerts Ministry
performed in Chicago 1–2 years previous to their signing with Arista show the
band dressed in "new wave" styles and playing new wave and synthpop
music. Jourgensen assumes a false English accent for all of the songs, for
which he also later expressed a great disliking.
Rather than the trademark
bone-munching industrial drone of later years, Work For Love is panto-goth, new wave synthpop that sounds less
like the band chewing your pancreas and more like the Human League's surly
little brother. Great stuff, then, for those who allied themselves with Ally
Sheedy's character in The Breakfast Club. "Here We Go" grinds all over
some electronic horns, "Work For Love" stop-starts and shouts about
like "Walk This Way" without all that scary rap, and the whole record
becomes a secret weapon against the contrived snarls of the albums to follow.
Surely, Al Jourgensen must be more insecure about his past than a superstar
linebacker over childhood courses in ballet.
Track List “Work For Love”
A1
Work For Love
A2
Do The Etawa
A3 I
Wanted To Tell Her
A4 Say
You’re Sorry
B1
Here We Go
B2
Effigy (I’m Not An)
B3
Revenge
B4
She’s Got A Cause
B5
Should Have Known Better
Track List “ With Sympathy”
A1
Effigy
A2
Revenge
A3 I
Wanted To Tell Her
A4
Work For Love
B1
Here We Go
B2
What He Say
B3
Say You’re Sorry
B4
Should Have Known Better
B5
She’s Got A Cause


Thanks a whole lot. Not my fav period, but I'm kind of a completist and I search some of these for years
ReplyDeleteCedric - Paris - France
Thanks for your comment Cedric. I agree with not my favourite period, but I had to start somewhere.
DeleteAmazing! Thanks for these 12" singles. I haven't heard most of these. Never had either of the albums either. Nice to finally hear them.
ReplyDeleteCharles
Charles, I hope they live up to your expectations
DeleteI think I have just about everything by Ministry (and other Jourgensen projects) and saw them live a few times! Unlike Uncle Al and his fans, I actually really like his early work and this particular Synthpop album. As far as synthpop albums from that period go, this is just as good as any Depeche Mode album from that time.
ReplyDeleteWhile I have all their stuff, I never had the WFL version you just posted! So, I am eternally grateful!
Thank you
Honestly I am both happy and surprised that "Work For Love" wasn't in your collection...makes what I'm doing all the more worthwhile. Thanks for your comment, again.
DeleteIs there any possibility of a re-up on the UK/US singles boxes? That would be awesome.
ReplyDeleteYeah, coming up
DeleteHi ! can your re-load all theses single and the first LP's of Ministry ? I appreciate that kind of cold_pop (?) music sometimes, i prefer Smell of Female but when she's not there ...
ReplyDeleteHi Pascal...the links are in the words "Sympathy" and "Work" for the two albums. I'll look into the early singles as soon as I can
Delete