Themes From Great Cities

It might have come to your attention that I'm not a regular poster of love and understanding, which you will just have to get used to. I will however, have bursts of creativity where I move completely randomly from post to post with no rhyme or reason. I have recently posted a few singles (7 & 12”) and the odd bootleg which have been received very well by all who visit. More of the same will continue as you, dear readers, seem to be enjoying them.

Some of the rips are my own, but many more are from other blogs and I’m just sharing the wealth. If other bloggers out there wish to share the rips from my posts, please as I do, host them yourself. To combat this, the FLAC files that are over 6 months old will be replaced with MP3 files.

Finally I am happy to re-up old posts where the link has expired. Please comment in the relevant posts comments box.

Thursday

I AIN'T GOT TIME FOR WHAT YOU FEEL


Mega Post Of Panto-Goth, New Wave, Synthpop



Ministry’s début US album With Sympathy was released as Work For Love through Arista-BMG in Europe (with different track listing and cover above). There is a video available for "Revenge," (below) which was one of three singles pulled from the album, the others being "Work for Love" and "I Wanted to Tell Her."
Al Jourgensen has maintained that he was pressured by Arista management into producing the album in the then-popular "synthpop" style, which is in contrast to the harder industrial sounds he developed afterwards. However, there are reports of Jourgensen saying in the 1980s that when he discovered hardcore music, his musical direction changed. Additionally, video of local concerts Ministry performed in Chicago 1–2 years previous to their signing with Arista show the band dressed in "new wave" styles and playing new wave and synthpop music. Jourgensen assumes a false English accent for all of the songs, for which he also later expressed a great disliking.
Rather than the trademark bone-munching industrial drone of later years, Work For Love is panto-goth, new wave synthpop that sounds less like the band chewing your pancreas and more like the Human League's surly little brother. Great stuff, then, for those who allied themselves with Ally Sheedy's character in The Breakfast Club. "Here We Go" grinds all over some electronic horns, "Work For Love" stop-starts and shouts about like "Walk This Way" without all that scary rap, and the whole record becomes a secret weapon against the contrived snarls of the albums to follow. Surely, Al Jourgensen must be more insecure about his past than a superstar linebacker over childhood courses in ballet.


 



Taken from the vinyl albums Work For Love and With Sympathy to MP3 @ 320kbps


Track List “Work For Love

                A1 Work For Love
                A2 Do The Etawa
                A3 I Wanted To Tell Her
                A4 Say You’re Sorry
                B1 Here We Go
                B2 Effigy (I’m Not An)
                B3 Revenge
                B4 She’s Got A Cause
                B5 Should Have Known Better

Track List “ With Sympathy

                A1 Effigy
                A2 Revenge
                A3 I Wanted To Tell Her
                A4 Work For Love
                B1 Here We Go
                B2 What He Say
                B3 Say You’re Sorry
                B4 Should Have Known Better
                B5 She’s Got A Cause
 



Added bonus points I have the UK 12” singles and the US 12” singles bundled for your enjoyment of the full Al Jourgensen early years that he so desperately wanted to keep hidden.


Cold Life 12” (Situation Two SIT 17T) 

 










 Work For Love 12” (Arista 12 510)











I Wanted To Tell Her 12” (Arista 12 533)












Revenge (You Did It Again) 12” (Arista 12 549)














I’m Falling 12” (WAX TRAX! 110072X)


Cold Life 12” Maxi (WAX TRAX! WAX003)

Work For Love 12” Maxi (US Arista Promo CP 726)











6 comments:

  1. Thanks a whole lot. Not my fav period, but I'm kind of a completist and I search some of these for years

    Cedric - Paris - France

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Cedric. I agree with not my favourite period, but I had to start somewhere.

      Delete
  2. Amazing! Thanks for these 12" singles. I haven't heard most of these. Never had either of the albums either. Nice to finally hear them.

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charles, I hope they live up to your expectations

      Delete
  3. -= Faith Healer =-1 November 2015 at 11:38

    I think I have just about everything by Ministry (and other Jourgensen projects) and saw them live a few times! Unlike Uncle Al and his fans, I actually really like his early work and this particular Synthpop album. As far as synthpop albums from that period go, this is just as good as any Depeche Mode album from that time.

    While I have all their stuff, I never had the WFL version you just posted! So, I am eternally grateful!

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I am both happy and surprised that "Work For Love" wasn't in your collection...makes what I'm doing all the more worthwhile. Thanks for your comment, again.

      Delete