I’m still in Northern Ireland with the now extended fam
and probably a few family friends. Life is all about family, being with the
ones you love and care for. You’d think that I just cobble this together at the
last minute with no plan…Ramones were family! And how better to kick of a new week
than with da brudders Ramone? I couldn’t
believe that I hadn’t posted any Ramones before now, what a complete tosser!
Dumb, crude, three-chord thrash? Yes. Fast, exhilarating and brand new? Yes. Intelligent, boundary smashing and woefully underrated? Definitely. The Ramones were all of these things and more. Like a film’s opening credits their first album contains everything that their later career was to offer, and in 1976 nothing else sounded quite like it. Formed in 1974 by a bunch of middle class kids with a mutual love of the Stooges, New York Dolls and 60s garage bands, they followed bass player Dee Dee’s lead and all adopted the surname Ramone, subsuming their identities beneath the concept and started pairing down their sound into the two minute rushes that we know and love them for today. Shows were understandably brief when they started growing a fan base at New York’s CBGB’s.
Initially reviled by the American press for their seemingly crude approach to rock ‘n’ roll the barest glance at their lyrics reveals a dark sense of humour and a perfect understanding of rock’s dynamics. Nazi affiliations (“Today Your Love Tomorrow The World”, child abuse (“Beat On The Brat”), drug abuse (“Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue”), the Cuban Missile Crisis? (“Havana Affair”); all were fair game in da brudders alternative universe of nihilism and short sharp fun. But anybody who was looking closely would have also spotted a softer side. Their love of Phil Spector’s perfect pop, referenced in “I Wanna be Your Boyfriend” (interestingly the only song on the album with another instrument apart from guitar and drums – the glockenspiel) was to later put them in the hands (and allegedly at the end of a gun barrel) of the midget genius on their End Of The Century album. Luckily some people did get the joke. In the UK they were first played not by cool figurehead, John Peel, but by that bastion of prog and metal – Alan Freeman! Like the Velvets’ first album, not many people did actually buy the album, but nearly all who did went away and formed a band. For a couple of years they took their formula further and faster and the world resounded to the cry of "onetwothreefour!"
Dumb, crude, three-chord thrash? Yes. Fast, exhilarating and brand new? Yes. Intelligent, boundary smashing and woefully underrated? Definitely. The Ramones were all of these things and more. Like a film’s opening credits their first album contains everything that their later career was to offer, and in 1976 nothing else sounded quite like it. Formed in 1974 by a bunch of middle class kids with a mutual love of the Stooges, New York Dolls and 60s garage bands, they followed bass player Dee Dee’s lead and all adopted the surname Ramone, subsuming their identities beneath the concept and started pairing down their sound into the two minute rushes that we know and love them for today. Shows were understandably brief when they started growing a fan base at New York’s CBGB’s.
Initially reviled by the American press for their seemingly crude approach to rock ‘n’ roll the barest glance at their lyrics reveals a dark sense of humour and a perfect understanding of rock’s dynamics. Nazi affiliations (“Today Your Love Tomorrow The World”, child abuse (“Beat On The Brat”), drug abuse (“Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue”), the Cuban Missile Crisis? (“Havana Affair”); all were fair game in da brudders alternative universe of nihilism and short sharp fun. But anybody who was looking closely would have also spotted a softer side. Their love of Phil Spector’s perfect pop, referenced in “I Wanna be Your Boyfriend” (interestingly the only song on the album with another instrument apart from guitar and drums – the glockenspiel) was to later put them in the hands (and allegedly at the end of a gun barrel) of the midget genius on their End Of The Century album. Luckily some people did get the joke. In the UK they were first played not by cool figurehead, John Peel, but by that bastion of prog and metal – Alan Freeman! Like the Velvets’ first album, not many people did actually buy the album, but nearly all who did went away and formed a band. For a couple of years they took their formula further and faster and the world resounded to the cry of "onetwothreefour!"
Ripped to MP3
1. Blitzkrieg Bop
2. Beat On The Brat
3. Judy Is A Punk
4. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend
5. Chain Saw
6. Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue
7. I Don’t Wanna Go Down To The Basement
8. Loudmouth
9. Havana Affair
10. Listen To My Heart
11. 53rd & 3rd
12. Let’s Dance
13. I Don’t Wanna Walk Around With You
14. Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World
15. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend (Demo)
16. Judy Is A Punk (Demo)
17. I Don’t Care (Demo)
18. I Can’t Be
19. Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue (Demo)
20. I Don’t Wanna Be Learned / I Don’t Wanna Be Tamed
21. You Should Never Have Opened That Door (Demo)
22. Blitzkrieg Bop
1. Blitzkrieg Bop
2. Beat On The Brat
3. Judy Is A Punk
4. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend
5. Chain Saw
6. Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue
7. I Don’t Wanna Go Down To The Basement
8. Loudmouth
9. Havana Affair
10. Listen To My Heart
11. 53rd & 3rd
12. Let’s Dance
13. I Don’t Wanna Walk Around With You
14. Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World
15. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend (Demo)
16. Judy Is A Punk (Demo)
17. I Don’t Care (Demo)
18. I Can’t Be
19. Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue (Demo)
20. I Don’t Wanna Be Learned / I Don’t Wanna Be Tamed
21. You Should Never Have Opened That Door (Demo)
22. Blitzkrieg Bop

RAMONES RULE. MY ONE ANSWER TO THE NAYSAYERS: TAKE ONE OF THEIR SONGS AND PLAY IT EQUAL,VERBATIM, TO THE ORIGINAL. IT WILL TAKE LONGER THAN ONE CAN THINK...
ReplyDeleteGOOD WEEK AND ALL BEST!
Thanks Julio
DeleteExude only positive vibes, unbelievable that everyone has already passed away.
ReplyDeleteIt is devastating that all of the original members are all gone. They lived their lives as hard and fast as their music
DeleteInarrivable stuff
ReplyDeleteBliss (ITA) 4 trax demo
https://mega.nz/folder/eRxWnD6L#nfHZAZ2ugsptM4IOlIJqwg
thanks Fabio
Deletean early cassette for my walkman that got played repeatedly until years later got this CD with the bonus. silly me went to a festival but brashly chose to party and be the 'log bringer' to the campfires as I missed my chance to see them...but hey outdoors at a huge fest is not the same as at a club. oh well, they live on!
ReplyDeletemy walkman used to eat my cassettes...and I'm lost for words of condolence 'oh mighty bringer of logs' for missing out on a Ramones show
DeleteMy first concert experience was the Banshees, Scream tour, Ulster Hall, then a long walk home to Carnmoney as the whole thing had been delayed. Hope home treats you well.
ReplyDeleteFirst concert cherry, and t'Banshees to boot. I'm back in Belfast mid October for my youngest neice's wedding...that's gonna get so messy that we've booked the taxi's already
Delete