A while back I was talking to jonder about his epic Rough Trade series and I made the foolish suggestion of doing a Small Wonder series. Well, the first 10 Small 7” releases (not including the Teeny and Weeny 12” singles) have finally made it into some sort of compilation that follows the labels releases from small one through to SMALL 10. Now follows an overview from Wiki.
Small Wonder Records was a British independent record label owned and managed by Pete and Mari Stennett, which specialised in releasing records by punk rock and post-punk bands. It operated out of a record shop of the same name at 162 Hoe Street, Walthamstow, London. Artists to have released on the label include Bauhaus, Crass, The Cure, The Cravats, Patrik Fitzgerald, Puncture, Cockney Rejects, The Carpettes, Poison Girls and Angelic Upstarts. The shop and labels logo - as featured on its famous paper bags - was of an Edwardian/Victorian family in their finest clothes, the mother was white while the father and vicar were black. The baby in the picture was mixed race and according to Pete Stennett provided him with the inspiration for the name 'Small Wonder'.
Ripped from a number of sources to one folder for your listening
pleasure in MP3
Small Wonder; 7” Singles First Ten
· Small One Puncture - "Mucky Pup" / "You Can't Rock n Roll In A Council Flat" 7"
· Small Two Zeros - "Hungry" / "Radio Fun" 7"
· Small Three The Carpettes - "How About Me And You" 7" (4 track EP)
· Small Four Patrik Fitzgerald - "Safety-Pin Stuck In My Heart" 7" (6 track EP)
· Small Five Menace - "GLC" / "I'm Civilised" 7"
· Small Six Patrik Fitzgerald - "Backstreet Boys" 7" (4 track EP)
· Small Seven Leyton Buzzards - "19 & Mad" / "Villain" / "Youthanasia" 7"
· Small Eight Punishment of Luxury - "Puppet Life" / "The Demon" 7"
· Small Nine Carpettes - "Small Wonder" / "2 NE 1" 7"
· Small Ten Demon Preacher - "Little Miss Perfect" / "Perfect Dub" 7"

I'm so glad to see that you did it! I recently grabbed your upload of The Seers' single for my Rough Trade series.
ReplyDeleteI imagine it was not an easy life for that young family.
I'm glad to be of service Jonder. And no I wouldn't wish that life of the family in the picture on anyone, must have been dreadful.
Deletehttps://fpftp.blogspot.com/2019/01/va-small-wonder-records.html
ReplyDeleteThe two CD's are a great resource jonder but they miss out on a number of b'sides, and the Cure's Killing an Arab.
Delete